Timing Belt Replacement - What Other Items To Change Out?

PilotguyPA28

There used to be a list of items to change out on the Forum like the water pump and I have done a search and cannot find it. It's time to do my belt and want to get the best bang for my buck. Any help with the list of things to change out would be helpful.

Thanks!

Depends on your mileage and if it is the first change, second or third.. The higher mileage, the more things I would change.

Offhand without searching myself, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Idlers, Tensioners, Drive/Fan Belt, there are some seals too you can have changed.

Also Thermostat wouldnt hurt, rotors and caps since everything is already open

There are no rotors or distributor caps to change on an LS430 so no worries there. You will want to have the crank seal and cam seals checked for leakage and replace those if it shows any signs.

I would change belt, pump, idler and tensioner pulleys, tensioner, thermostat, assorted gaskets, O-rings and of course the coolant itself. If you have lots of miles (like more than 150k) you might want to think about changing the fan bracket pulley as well while in there. But that could also be changed out later if need be.

You going to DIY, PilotGuy?

The Toyota dealer will probably be cheaper than the Lexus dealer. At 80k miles, the dealer does not necessarily recommend a pump replacement nor pulleys nor seals. If it were mine, I would insist on a new pump and pulleys just because it is good insurance and the labor is the real cost. You would hope that you did not have to look over their shoulder, but...better safe than sorry afterward.