Changing Plugs/wires

aportinga

I am going to change the plugs and wires on out LS400 (1990) this weekend - hopefully before the GP of Australia starts :D

I have never done this on a foreign car and thus I am wondering if there is a particular brand(s) I should look to buy and where to get them..... Mind you I need to get them by Saturday so more then likely this needs to be some place I can just walk in to.

Finally I am wondering if I need anything special in terms of tools - any extentions/metric or if there is any particular process I should follow that any of you would recommend?

Thanks in advance!

installation is the same as in domestic cars and yeah you need metric tools to work on japanese car. i would recommend using oem parts such as toyota wires and denso plugs. ngk plugs are also fine but i would stick with denso and the model for denso plugs is IK20

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the link on the plugs!

Hey all I was looking at the manual I have for the car and there is no diagram with data on where I need to start removing pannels in order to get to the plugs. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing (I have never done this before).

Also should I replace the distributor cap as well or just stick with the plugs and wires?

Thanks for the link on the plugs!

Hey all I was looking at the manual I have for the car and there is no diagram with data on where I need to start removing pannels in order to get to the plugs. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing (I have never done this before).

Also should I replace the distributor cap as well or just stick with the plugs and wires?

It doesn't hurt to replace the Distr. Cap, but don't have to, especially since the Grand Prix is on. Removing all of the covers will take you some time. Expect to spend at around 2-4hours just removing the all the covers off the block.

Definitely get metric with a variety of sizes and extensions.

You can do the wires at a different date or time.