Dash Instruments Lights Off When Brake Pedal Pushe

vyhanh

Hello,

It just happens this morning :(

Everything on dash is fine until I push the brake pedal: The whole dash light instrument panel (speedo, rev, etc....) turns dark. When I release the brake pedal, the lighted panel comes back on. Could anybody help?

Thanks

VH

91 LS400 (136K)

Hi

Things are back to normal now (without me doing anything besides checking the wires on the driver side trunk hinge and the battery posts). There is one interesting symptom when happened: when I pushed the brake pedal, there was a loud click which could be felt thru the brake pedal AND the gearshift lever (if you put your hand on the lever, you could feel the click).

VH

91 LS400

The click is normal ,it is the brake aftey switch relaseing the parking lever lock.It always clicks when the brake is pressed in park.

SAearch for the other posts on for pics of repairing the damaged wiring in the trunk arm

I have a 91 LS400 that does a similar thing. My lights do not go completely out, but they dim when I step on the brake and I hear the same clicking sound in the shifter. I would definately like to know what the problem is as well.

CL

I have the post saved this explains how to fix this. I will post it tonight, or pm me with your email and I'll send it dierectly to you.

It looks to be a fairly easy fix.

Here is the information from the post regarding how to fix the ground wire in the trunk. Sorry that this is the extent of the details I have. Whoever does this, please take pictures.

Denny

Hey Hoffmnjp

Im about a week late on your post I dont know if you have fixed it yet but if not heres your fix.

You do have a bad ground.

Very common in early LS's.

Open the trunk on the drivers side trunk hinge (curved bar attaching trunk to car)there is a black plastic piece running the length of the hinge protecting a small wiring harness that runs through the trunk hinge.

Pull that down and out of the way.Pull the harness out of the hinge it kind of runs down the hinge and then goes up and makes a u turn pull that out .You can pulldown the trunk liner on drivers side and see where it snaps on to a bolt pull that off of the bolt to give yourself a little more wire length to work with.

Now you will see where the wires make a uturn inside another plastic piece.Unravel the tape in this area and remove the plastic piece.

You will find a broken wire (white with black stripe) made a little to short at the factory.

Splice in a small 2 inch extension betweeen the broken ends preferably solder it ( use butt connectors that you crimp on or twist and tape if you must.)

Tape the harness back up.

Put it all back together.

Thanks again for the post. I checked my wire but it is fine. are there any other gounds that I can check? If so, where might I find them? The issue seems to be linked to the brake lights or brake switch. All of the lights dim when the brake lights come on. It can be running or completely turned off and it still does it.

Thanks,

CL

Electrical problems are the nightmare of all car owners as they seem to be the most persistant and wreck havok. Bad grounds are a very common problem in regions with high road salt use. If it isn't the black and white wire in the trunk, then it is a new one to me. Hopefully someone else has knowledge of how to correct the problem.