Towing

bigbill.32

I don't know what year your ES350 is but the 2007 ES350 manual says that the towing capacity is 1,000 lbs. - seems awfully low since our Camry's owners manual says 2,000 lbs.

I've towed with almost every car I've owned over the past 45 years including a 3,200 pound, 62 hp Mercedes 1979 240D sedan that I used to tow a 2,000 lb. sailboat/trailer (OK, that was not the best idea I ever had.).

Your ES should easily tow a small trailer. Just don't go trying to tow an Airstream.

Here is the Missouri company from which I have bought trailer hitches and trailer wiring harnesses: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Lexus_ES+350.htm

Max towing is 1,000lbs when properly equipped...but the ES is not a vehicle I would choose to be a towing vehicle.

If you do use it for towing, I would make sure you install a tranny cooler as insurance.

Thanks for the feed back. I have a 2007 ES350 and yes the towing limit is 1000#. I'll be towing a jet ski with the the trailer, together it would be just over 1000lbs.

Was just wondering if anyone had a reason not too. Thanks all.

Bill

Thanks for the feed back. I have a 2007 ES350 and yes the towing limit is 1000#. I'll be towing a jet ski with the the trailer, together it would be just over 1000lbs.

Bill

The biggest problem you might have in towing "just over 1000lbs" is that you will find yourself frequently checking your rear view mirros to make sure you haven't lost the trailer. Your ES350 engine is rated at 272 h and it's curb weight is 3580 pounds. When towing my loaded 4'x8' utility trailer behind my 240 hp, 3759 pound 1990 LS400, I could not tell by the way the car accellerated or handled that miy trailer was attached to the car.

You might notice that virtually all the people who tell you not to tow have zero experience towing. I've towed stuff all my life including 40+ years ago when I was a "kid", had a commercial license and towed really big stuff behind a commercial rig.

Fear not. Just follow the your owners manual and be careful. You will want to power your trailer running and brake lights from your car battery or underhood fuse box and only "trigger" your trailer brake lights and turn signals from your car's brake and turn signal light harness. Buy the appropriate trailer light wiring harness to accomplish this.

1990LS400 Thanks for the feed back. Many people I know have towed light trailers with passenger cars and there are hitches custom made to fit the ES 350. The only concern I have is the condition of the boat ramps that I would use to launch. I'll be using a friends Jeep for now to explore some of the ramps in my area and than make a decision. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

Bill

The biggest problem you might have in towing "just over 1000lbs" is that you will find yourself frequently checking your rear view mirros to make sure you haven't lost the trailer. Your ES350 engine is rated at 272 h and it's curb weight is 3580 pounds. When towing my loaded 4'x8' utility trailer behind my 240 hp, 3759 pound 1990 LS400, I could not tell by the way the car accellerated or handled that miy trailer was attached to the car.

You might notice that virtually all the people who tell you not to tow have zero experience towing. I've towed stuff all my life including 40+ years ago when I was a "kid", had a commercial license and towed really big stuff behind a commercial rig.

Fear not. Just follow the your owners manual and be careful. You will want to power your trailer running and brake lights from your car battery or underhood fuse box and only "trigger" your trailer brake lights and turn signals from your car's brake and turn signal light harness. Buy the appropriate trailer light wiring harness to accomplish this.

OK, I had a Kurt hitch installed with the wiring kit installed according to instructions. Hooked up my trailer with the jet-ski and drove around for a while in different conditions and speeds. Around town I kept the transmission in 4th so it wouldn't be going in and out of OD. Out on the Hwy at 65 there was no noticeable feeling that the trailer was attached. Launched my Jet ski today without any problems, very easy.

Now the test, loading the ski on the trailer and pulling it out of the water up a rather steep ramp. No problem what so ever........like it wasn't even attached.

Thanks all for the advice, email me if you have any questions. PS also the car stay's completely level with the trailer and ski attached

Bill

OK, I had a Kurt hitch installed with the wiring kit installed according to instructions. Hooked up my trailer with the jet-ski and drove around for a while in different conditions and speeds. Around town I kept the transmission in 4th so it wouldn't be going in and out of OD. Out on the Hwy at 65 there was no noticeable feeling that the trailer was attached. Launched my Jet ski today without any problems, very easy.

Now the test, loading the ski on the trailer and pulling it out of the water up a rather steep ramp. No problem what so ever........like it wasn't even attached.

Thanks all for the advice, email me if you have any questions. PS also the car stay's completely level with the trailer and ski attached

Bingo! ... again.

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the necro-post, but I have a deposit on a 2015 ES 350, and the sales guy told me towing my jet ski trailer would be no problem for this car. While waiting for my scheduled pick up date, I looked in the owners manual on-line, and it seems to indicate that the max towing capacity is not only no longer 1000 pounds, but it is officially stated that towing is not recommended for this model.

This is a deal breaker for me. I have a 2003 corolla S with a 1500 pound tow capacity. I have been wanting an ES 350 for a couple years, and decided it was finally time, and now I'm looking at a car incapable of the summer fun that I so love.

I like the advice given by 1990LS400, but worry that installing the hitch receiver to the undercarriage will void my warranty. It seems that towing my ~1200 pound trailer should be easier and safer for this V6 sedan with 4 wheel disk brakes compared to my POS corolla.

Does anyone have any insight here before I go ask for my deposit back? In every other way, I am really looking to picking up this car Friday. This one issue just sickens me. Not only is this my first nice car, it is my first new car, so I really don't want to destroy it while voiding the warranty.

Sorry for the necro-post, but I have a deposit on a 2015 ES 350, and the sales guy told me towing my jet ski trailer would be no problem for this car. While waiting for my scheduled pick up date, I looked in the owners manual on-line, and it seems to indicate that the max towing capacity is not only no longer 1000 pounds, but it is officially stated that towing is not recommended for this model.

This is a deal breaker for me. I have a 2003 corolla S with a 1500 pound tow capacity. I have been wanting an ES 350 for a couple years, and decided it was finally time, and now I'm looking at a car incapable of the summer fun that I so love.

I like the advice given by 1990LS400, but worry that installing the hitch receiver to the undercarriage will void my warranty. It seems that towing my ~1200 pound trailer should be easier and safer for this V6 sedan with 4 wheel disk brakes compared to my POS corolla.

Does anyone have any insight here before I go ask for my deposit back? In every other way, I am really looking to picking up this car Friday. This one issue just sickens me. Not only is this my first nice car, it is my first new car, so I really don't want to destroy it while voiding the warranty.

This is a tough one. When I was told that towing was not recommended on either my 1990 or 2000 LS400, I could always point to the European specifications that said that the towing limit was 2000 kg (4409 lbs.) with equipped with the tow prep package and 1000 kg without it. The ES is sold in relatively few countries and I doubt that you will find towing specs for the ES anywhere.

There is actually a tow prep package for the 3.5 liter Toyota/Lexus V6. My 2014 Sienna has this package which consists of a larger radiator, a different fan and an engine oil cooler. The 3.5 liter V6 in the Sienna comes with a standard transmission oil cooler - don't know if the current ES has one. If it does, it will likely be mounted below the coolent radiator. Without the tow prep package on the Sienna, the towing limit is (I think) 1,000 pounds. I know from Sienna forums that it is wildly expensive to add the engine oil cooler to a Toyota V6 that didn't have one installed at the factory.

There is a difference between "not recommended" and "voids the warranty" but it would be good to have something in writing that says it is OK to tow up to a particular limit.

I've noticed that towing is no longer sanctioned for a number of Toyota/Lexus vehicles sold in Europe. Just a few years ago in the UK and Europe, Toyota/Lexus dealers sold Lexus branded tow hitches for the IS250/220d and even for the Prius and specifically stated that the vehicles were suitable for hauling jetskis. Last time I checked, towing was mentioned only for Toyota and Lexus SUV's.

Well, I put in the call to cancel my order. My sales guy is out till Friday, and sales manager is out till tomorrow. Hope it will be hassle free to get my deposit back. Thanks for the input. Time to look at the Audi A6 :-(

I really want a mid sized sedan, not an SUV.

Well, I put in the call to cancel my order. My sales guy is out till Friday, and sales manager is out till tomorrow. Hope it will be hassle free to get my deposit back. Thanks for the input. Time to look at the Audi A6 :-(

I really want a mid sized sedan, not an SUV.

I suppose you don't want to hear about my sister burning out the transmission in her Audi while towing a U-haul trailer filled with family heirlooms from north central Missouri to Cincinatti.

I don't think there are many four door sedans rated to tow. Honda still rates its Accord to tow a maximum of 1,000 pounds.

If you want to tow and stay within vehicle manufacturers' recommendations, you are mostly limited to trucks, SUV's, "cross-overs", and vans.

The obvious choice if you want to tow and stay with Lexus is an RX350. If you want to stay under the Toyota umbrella and want something more car-like, maybe a high specification Toyota Venza which has a 3,500 pound towing capacity when equipped with the tow prep package.

We considered an RX last year after cancelling our order of an Acura MDX SH-AWD (5,000 pounds towing capacity) and finally went with a fully optioned FWD Sienna Limited van which has a 3,500 pound towing limit. We considered only vehicles with HID or LED headlights, adaptive radar cruise control and a collision mitigation system and got all those features on our Sienna by getting the Advanced Technology Package that includes HID, DRCC and the Pre-Collision System. All my primary vehicles since 1978 had been sedans and I was tired of dealing with their cargo (and people) capacity limitations.

Yeah. I am single, no kids, and have no need for high capacity people or cargo. The Audi A6 reports a towing capacity of 750kg. My loaded jet ski trailer is 1200 pounds.

My sister has a loaded sienna. That is just too big for me.

Also, I am interested in a quiet cabin, thus my interest in the ES 350.

I am very broad shouldered, and I splay my legs when I sit. I find the ES 350 very comfortable to ride in. I found the RX350 to be more claustrophobic for my build and desired level of comfort compared to both my Corolla (2003) and the ES 350.

Fortunately I am not in a hurry to buy. I'll keep shopping around.

• 3 months later...

So Rob, what did you decide to get?? I towed my ski for three years with my '07 ES 350 with no problems what so ever... like one of the other poster's said you don't even notice it's behind you...

Well, in the end I got an Acura MDX Advance package. It was a bit more, but it was actually quieter in the interior, and I love the self driving features (It can lane detect and steer, as well as radar controlled cruise control). Plus, when going to the lake, I now can seat a whole bunch of people.

It was a lot more money, but I decided that it was worth it to me in the end. Plus, the Acura dealers were a lot more pleasant to deal with. Much lower pressure sales tactics, and very accommodating. Between the 2 local Acura dealerships bidding for my business, I think I got a fair deal.

Congrats!

The AWD MDX is one of the most fun vehicles I've ever driven - better than a BMW 5-series. We put a deposit on the highest trim level AWD MDX with all options and accessories in February 2014 but for a number of reasons we cancelled the order after waiting a couple of months and then special ordered a Sienna van with all options the next day.

But ... my ... was the MDX unbelievably fun to drive. I also loved the MDX adaptive cruise control and how it functioned down to nearly zero mph. The adaptive cruise control on our Sienna and Prius work only down to 25 mph and then give up.

The main downsides of the MDX for us were the run-flat tires with no spare tire, the engine having a timing belt instead of a chain, too little legroom for the third row seats and the rear hatch opening that was no higher than the hatch opening in our Prius wagon. The third row seats were maybe the biggest issue other than the most important factor which was the discovery of the Acura dealer's dishonesty in the deal. I wanted what might be my last vehicle to be able to seat six adults in comfort on long trips and the MDX couldn't do that.

Even with all the downsides of the MDX, I still wanted one. Cancelling that purchase was almost traumatic. I rarely get emotionally involved when I drive a vehicle but I sure did with the MDX. It was so much FUN!

I swear ... I will never buy or attempt to buy another vehicle from any dealership in the Hendrick automotive group.

I agree about the fun part. I don't think I have run flat tires. I definitely have a spare. The SH-AWD is amazing. I got to test drive while we still had snow up here, and I could feel the torque vector steering keeping me in control (while pushing it harder than I should have ;-) ). Fortunately, I never need to seat 6 adults, so the 3rd row is not a deal breaker for me, and the adaptive cruise will go down to 0, but if traffic doesn't start moving within 20 seconds or so, you have to tell it to start following again by hitting the resume switch. No big deal really.

My sister has a Sienna, and it is nice, but it is so much bigger feeling to drive. I was worried about even the MDX's size, as I never have had an SUV, but with all the sensors and cameras, it really is amazingly easy to manage. I am legally blind in one eye, and have poor depth perception, and I can parallel park this easier than any other car I have ever driven, and get 6" closer to the curb.

Sounds like you had the experience with Acura that I had with the Lexus dealer. He mislead me about towing capacity, used high pressure tactics, and in the end I cancelled my deposit on the Lexus. Which broke my heart. I really wanted a sedan, not an SUV, but I'll say this, after 3 months of MDXing, I'm really psyched how it worked out. I really like it.

I agree about the fun part. I don't think I have run flat tires. I definitely have a spare. The SH-AWD is amazing. I got to test drive while we still had snow up here, and I could feel the torque vector steering keeping me in control (while pushing it harder than I should have ;-) ). Fortunately, I never need to seat 6 adults, so the 3rd row is not a deal breaker for me, and the adaptive cruise will go down to 0, but if traffic doesn't start moving within 20 seconds or so, you have to tell it to start following again by hitting the resume switch. No big deal really.

My sister has a Sienna, and it is nice, but it is so much bigger feeling to drive. I was worried about even the MDX's size, as I never have had an SUV, but with all the sensors and cameras, it really is amazingly easy to manage. I am legally blind in one eye, and have poor depth perception, and I can parallel park this easier than any other car I have ever driven, and get 6" closer to the curb.

Sounds like you had the experience with Acura that I had with the Lexus dealer. He mislead me about towing capacity, used high pressure tactics, and in the end I cancelled my deposit on the Lexus. Which broke my heart. I really wanted a sedan, not an SUV, but I'll say this, after 3 months of MDXing, I'm really psyched how it worked out. I really like it.

Well ... I see now that I had it totally wrong and that it is the FWD MDX that comes without a spare tire and with a tire repair kit and that it is the AWD MDX that comes regular tires and with a spare tire. Dang! It's kind of the opposite on the Sienna. I had to get the FWD Sienna to get a spare tire and regular tires since the AWD Sienna has no spare tire and has run flat tires. I also had to get the FWD version of the Sienna to get the radar cruise control and the automatic braking system. Vision problems? I flunked the driver's license vision test 20 years ago! I'm better now but it's one of the reasons I want these electronic safety aids.

The MDX feels like a far smaller vehicle that it is when driving - incredibly nimble. Our Sienna drives like a tour bus. I test drove the MDX SH-AWD last year on a whim with zero research. A close friend had just driven one and loved it but balked at the price and bought a Highlander instead.

I seem to have some sort of mental block about SUV's and particularly about what I call "fake SUV's" like the street-only Lexus RX and the MDX which was - at least originally - cloned from the Honda Odyssey van. At least the MDX gave me a reason to get past that mental block.

Several things went wrong with the deal on the MDX. It wasn't the most serious issue but I suspected that "our" MDX was sold to someone else when it arrived and that they were putting us off simply because they had our deposit. I bought the Sienna through Costco. We'd probably be driving the MDX if we had gone through Costco to buy it but our trip to the Acura dealer was completely unplanned. Buying through Costco completely removed the "B.S." from the Sienna purchase.