New Es330 Owner- Maintence Questions

Hi! New Lexus owner here! I have tried to google this information but I keep getting conflicting answers. If anyone can help I would appreciate it!

2005 ES330 85K

Bought car used recently-- did not come with Owner's manual

Tire pressure:

The bridgestone tires on the car say 50psi. Inside the door says 32psi. Which do I use?

Oil Change:

What oil should I use when I do an oil change. When I bought the car there was a small leak. I had the dealer change the rear main seal. Not sure if I should use synthetic?!?! I am on a budget but I don't want to cheap out of my beautiful car either. The oil change will probably be done in the driveway not at a dealer.

Anyone notice it doesn't REALLY get 29mpg highway? I am only averaging 22-23 mgp.

Hi there! Welcome to the LOC!

You can obtain a free owners manual by registering your car at www.lexus.com/owners

The tire pressure on your tires is the MAX PRESSURE of the tires. Thats the maximum pressure the tires can safely be inflated to. You don't want to run that pressure. I always run mine at Lexus' spec on the door panel because I like the smoothest ride. Running them a little higher will improve handling, fuel economy, and tire wear, but at the expense of the ride. Play with them between 32-35 and find what works best for you.

You can run synthetic oil but you dont have to, the car came from the factory with regular oil. With 5k drain intervals, synthetic is probably overkill but I do it anyways/

You won't get 29 on a 330. I get 30-31 highway on my 350, but I have a 6th gear, little bit different engine, etc. If I got 26 or so highway with my previous 2003 ES300 I was happy. I typically would get 19 or so around town.

Hope that helps!

• if bridgestone says 50 then go for it, the higher the tire pressure the better the milage. I was running some chinese tires at that pressure and I did get 30 mpg on the highway going 55-60, but then one of the tires had a belt separation, so I'm back to 38-40 lbs.
  • FWIW, that belt problem was a real stumper. At first I thought it was out of alignment, as it was pulling hard to the right, like overnight. After an alignment, no improvement. After moving tires around, getting balancing, etc, finally discovered the tire problem. Off the car, the tire/wheel would roll dramatically to the right and fall over after 10 feet. Replaced that tire and all was good.
  • Synthetic oil is always better, unless you have some oil leakage from a seal or gasket, then it will become worse, as the synth becomes much thinner at temp eventhough it keeps it's lubrication capacity. The money issue is a wash as you can go 4 x's longer between oil changes.
  • LL

f bridgestone says 50 then go for it, the higher the tire pressure the better the milage. I was running some chinese tires at that pressure and I did get 30 mpg on the highway going 55-60, but then one of the tires had a belt separation, so I'm back to 38-40 lbs.

No. Running the maximum pressure is unsafe, thats the MAXIMUM PRESSURE the tire can be inflated to without failure. Bear in mind that tire pressure also increases by as much as 6-8PSI when the tires get hot too, which means your tires are inflated OVER maximum pressure. Why do you think your tire failed? Because you over-inflated it. VERY unsafe.

Like I said, higher pressures will yield better mileage, but they also bring a harder ride. Since the reason I bought a Lexus was the smooth ride I run them where Lexus says to run them and it rides great.

Synthetic oil is always better, unless you have some oil leakage from a seal or gasket, then it will become worse, as the synth becomes much thinner at temp eventhough it keeps it's lubrication capacity. The money issue is a wash as you can go 4 x's longer between oil changes.

No. Lexus specifies that you should not increase the oil change intervals when using synthetic. I know some people go longer when using synthetic, but the engine in this car runs hot and its hard on oil, I'd rather change every 5k with dino oil than try and go longer with synthetic.

Synthetic oil does not become thinner at higher temps. In fact, it stays THICKER at higher temps. The reason it can create leaks and worsen leaks is its increased lubricity and added detergents.

I will second what SW has said...and I too use synthetics (for everything, not just engine oil)...depending on the annual mileage & brand of oil & oil filter you use (I use nothing but Amsoil) you can safely do 2 oil & oil filter changes per year.

As for tire pressure...don't even go near 50 PSI. :whistles:

32-33 PSI is what I set mine too....for even wear & excellent fuel economy.

:cheers: