My Car Had A Strange Banging Noise. Who Can Help Me?

raregula

I have a 2006 GS430 with an Auto Gearbox which has been great from new. Recently, it developed a strange BANGING/CLUNKING noise which appeared to be coming from the Gearbox area of the vehicle.

Having seen 2 mechanics, they diagnosed the problem with a tool called ADS-1 All Cars Fault Diagnostic Scanner and found the problem should be the Transfer Box.

We removed the transfer box and re-conditioned it, fitted it back on the car and the noise is still there....

Now the mechanics think it is the gearbox but neither are sure that the gearbox is causing the noise.

Obviously don't want to go to the expense of removing the gearbox only to be told that it is not the problem and wondered if anyone has experienced the same issue ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 5 months later...

Only two things I have EVER cause any problems with a Toyota/Lexus transmission in the 8 years I've been on here, and 3 of their cars, is the following:

1) - Transmission mount.

2) - Wrong type of transmission fluid.

Before you do anything at this point, I'd make sure your fluid is Toyota Type VI ONLY, and you don't have a worn out mount (or possibly suspension bushing). Anything that I have ever heard if that was described as a "banging" sound in these cars, ever....has always had something to do with a rubber mount or bushing....not mechanical.

• 4 weeks later...

Only two things I have EVER cause any problems with a Toyota/Lexus transmission in the 8 years I've been on here, and 3 of their cars, is the following:

1) - Transmission mount.

2) - Wrong type of transmission fluid.

Before you do anything at this point, I'd make sure your fluid is Toyota Type VI ONLY, and you don't have a worn out mount (or possibly suspension bushing). Anything that I have ever heard if that was described as a "banging" sound in these cars, ever....has always had something to do with a rubber mount or bushing....not mechanical.

very good

thanks very much for your help!