Anyone Replae Their Leather Yet

Mine's getting old and brittle. I have a seam in the back window that has split open due to it becoming so dry and shrinking. I was just wondering how much it might cost to get both front seats and the back bench redone.

Sounds like someone hasn't used any leather conditioners over the years? You may want to use some Lexol leather treatments on the leather that's still good to prevent more problems. Hopefully you can get some leather to match- unsure of cost. Good luck man!

I had my seats redone last November at an upholstry shop. The seats came out awesome! It was $600 to replace approx. 8 total panels of leather on my driver and passenger seats. All he did was remove the leather seat cover, replace the bad sections, and then dye it all to match. At a small ind. shop like I went to, you could probably expect $2k+ for all of the seats to get recovered. My guy told me it'd be arround $600 per seat to get them completely redone, so I opted for the partial redo on both front seats for $600!

If your seats are just hard, try Leatherique. It's just like Lexol, but it's a much, much more powerful moisturizer. Lexol is good for properly maintained leather while Leatherique is better for super hard and dried leather.

I'd see about getting the back seat seam restitched, and try Leatherique if there aren't any actual holes in the leather(like I had!) or any bad wear marks.

Here are some befores and afters it get some ideas....

oldseat.jpg

DSC00062.sized.jpg

:cheers:

• 5 months later...

I feel your frustration :angry: . I have a split seam on the top of my rear bench of my '96, too, even after constant conditioning with Leatherique, Hide Food, Lexol, Zymol, you name it. Years of non-conditioning by the original owner, and the way the black upholstery absorbs the sun have done the top of the seat in. In fact, the leather shrank so much that the seat cushion is bent on one side, leaving an unsightly gap between seat and package shelf (reference my thread about that a couple weeks ago, where I initially thought the seat was misaligned-it wasn't) I'd love to find a local shop willing to replace the bad sections of leather, since the rest of the bench (and the front seats) look incredible for a car with 107,000 miles.

As far as holding the upholstery on, the rear backrest seat cover is attached to the metal frame by means of upholstery hog rings. They can be removed with tin snips, and new ones can be installed with special hog ring pliers.