Fog Light

skyview

I really want to use my fogs as driving lights. I can only turn my fogs on if the low beams are on. While at the dealer, I asked about having my fogs being able to come on independently or with parking lights.

I was told that a new relay would be needed and was advised not to modify any electrical components as it may cause "other" components to fail.

I had given up on the idea until I saw what appeared to be a 95-97 LS with only the fogs buring on the interstate today. I really wanted to stop and talk to him but we were both cruizing about 90 B)

Any one have any ideas on what I need to modify my 95?

Thanks In Advance

The fog lights on my 93 LS also operate only with the low beam headlights on. Looking at the schematic for my 93, it shows that it would be quite easy to do a simple mod that would operate the fog lights by themself without any other lights on but it would be more difficult if you wanted them to operate independently AND with your parking lights. The fog light circuit for US autos is quite simple, a single relay that controls just the fog lights and the fog light switch is connected to the return or ground side of the relay coil. The hot side of the relay coil as it comes from Lexus only has power applied when the headlight relay is energerized AND you have low beams selected. You would need to disconnect the standard red/yellow wire from the relay coil hot side and find another source that has power all the time and connect that to the hot side of the fog light relay. With constant power on the hot side of the fog light relay, the relay will energize when you turn the fog lights on with the switch. This information applies to a 93 LS, I would advise you to get a schematic for a 95LS and make sure the circuit is the same as a 93. I also would not undertake the modification if you are not at least somewhat familiar with and are comfortable doing electrical work and have a meter to make voltage checks, etc. Send me your email address to obergc@cox.net and I can send you a scan of the circuit for a 93.

i have the same problem i also asked about this and was told to leave it intact. what you saw on a highway was a car with burned low beam bulbs and using fog lights as driving lights:)

ive seen couple of those here in brooklyn where people are too cheap to replace the bulb sometimes

Object: See or be SEEN??!!

If you truly want driving lights this approach will never work. The fog light reflective surround is designed for a low and wide beam pattern such as one might want in foggy roadbed conditions.

On the other hand if the object is to dress up the "look" of the vehicle....