Goodbye And Good Luck...

Well, if you've seen my semi recent posts here, you'll know that Lexus replaced my original transaxle with a new one in March 2011, as it was leaking coolant. That was covered under an extended Lexus warranty. One year later, I noticed transmission fluid leaking from the exact spot that the original tranny was leaking coolant (there is a seam in the tranny at that point, and I can only assume a gasket or sealant to separate the cooling circuit from the transmission fluid circuit). Unfortunately, I was within the time frame (one year) for the warranty on the tranny, but 5000km over the 20000km limit for the warranty. I contacted my dealer, who diagnosed the new leak, and sent the information to Lexus requesting a warranty replacement.

A few weeks later, I got the answer (NO!!) from Lexus Canada. I have a friend who worked eight years in the automotive business, and he suggested that they would always say 'no' first and hope the customer goes away, but if I pursued the matter, writing and calling Lexus Canada, eventually they would do a 'goodwill' warranty, be it 100% coverage, or some other %, or something like they cover the part ($5000) and I cover the labour (~$1000). However, he worked for BMW, so who knows what the outcome MIGHT have been in my case.

In the end I couldn't be bothered. First of all, I had been looking for a seven seater to replace the RX400 (though I was in no rush, as I really liked the 400h and the stellar gas mileage it provided). Secondly, the whole matter left a bad taste in mouth. I wouldn't expect a CHRYSLER transmission to start leaking within 25000 KM, never mind a tranny from the company that coined the term "Pursuit of Perfection". For this second tranny to leak again in the exact same spot as the first tranny (and I'm aware of several other owner's who have had a leak in the same spot as well - not many mind you, but enough for this not to be an isolated incident) would indicate some sort of manufacturing defect and Lexus should have been quick to step up to the plate and deal with it. At the least, I would have thought a company that spends millions on research and development, would have been interested to diagnose why the tranny leaked again in the same spot.

I was quite prepared to pay SOME money for a new tranny, although I firmly believe, based on the amount of leaking oil, that this leak started well within the warranty period. However the simple, "Sorry, not covered under the scope of the warranty" has really soured me to the point that I would seriously have to think long and hard before I purchase another vehicle from Lexus. If the tranny had been many many kilometres over the 20000 KM warranty, I wouldn't have expected any help at all, but 5000KM and one year is really unacceptable to me.

In the end, I replaced the RX400h with an Acura MDX with the technology package (NAV, DVD, bluetooth etc.) So far, I'm enjoying the MDX, but I do miss the silent running of the RX400h. One thing I have to point out that I really like about the MDX is that the voice commands actually work (I'm not exaggerating when I say the voice command in my RX400h didn't work 90% of the time - the only command I could get to work with any realiability was 'increase temperature' for the climate control) and I can enter destinations on the NAV system while the vehicle is in motion.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my time here, and seeing everyone help each other with their vehicles, whether solutions to problems, or modifications, suggestions etc. was rewarding. I still may pop in the odd time to see if I can contribute (I know a fair amount about the 400h).

In parting, I would just encourage all the 400h owners to read my posts and carefully and diligently check your inverter and your transmissions to see if they are leaking as mine did.

Thanks guys - Like I said, I'll still drop in. The seven seater I really wanted was an LX470 (or 570). Who knows, I might return one day as an owner of one of those. I just need a lottery win to afford the gas.

My wife's (purchased new) 86 Honda transmission failed at 60,000 miles (fluid was changed at 30,000 and 60,000 miles) and I swore I would never buy a Honda product again. However, 13 years later I bought my son a used Honda Civic and it has allayed my fear of Hondas. Lexus vehicles (over all) are still the most reliable in the world but Acuras are not too far behind. Good luck with yours. It is a very good veicle that gets decent fuel mileage for its size wnd weight. I hear Acura is finally coming out with a hybrid; we'll see how that goes.

Also, thanks for your help throughout the years. Many forum folks are grateful, including I.

Dave

Thanks for the comments. You know, I think I mentioned in another post that it's not so much the vehicle that angered me, It was the Lexus Canada response.

The 400h in 2006 was Lexus' first hybrid and I had a low VIN number as well (on the road in March 2005). Being Lexus' first attempt at a hybrid (and an SUV to boot) and having a low VIN number, I'm actually quite impressed at the lack of small problems. The two large ones I had, however, were well....large - a replacement inverter and two leaking transmissions.

Despite all that, I could see myself in a 450h a few years down the road when the kids are grown and the need for a seven seater is not so pressing.

Regarding the MDX - being able to input destinations in the NAV while driving is ALMOST making up for the worse fuel economy of the 400h...lol.

Sorry to hear that lemon :( Enjoy the new MDX and as the others said, be sure to check in with us! I'll be sure to keep the inverter and transmission issue under close watch- hopefully we don't get into the same mess you unfortunately had to!

And let's see some pics of the Acura!! :cheers:

OK..I took these with my camera phone just after I finished waxing this sucker (and cleaning and treating the leather - mmm - does it ever smell nice inside (like new leather...thank you Zaino Brothers). Sorry about the crappy camera phone pics, but I was in a hurry. The picture of the roof is just to show the shine/reflection after all my hard work waxing. The black dot that seems to be in all the pictures must be something on the camera lens... It's dark now, or I'd take a few interior shots..

20120523193947.jpg20120523194134.jpg20120523195454.jpg20120523211825.jpg

OK..I took these with my camera phone just after I finished waxing this sucker (and cleaning and treating the leather - mmm - does it ever smell nice inside (like new leather...thank you Zaino Brothers). Sorry about the crappy camera phone pics, but I was in a hurry. The picture of the roof is just to show the shine/reflection after all my hard work waxing. The black dot that seems to be in all the pictures must be something on the camera lens... It's dark now, or I'd take a few interior shots..

20120523193947.jpg20120523194134.jpg20120523195454.jpg20120523211825.jpg

That looks beautiful!! I LOVE the color! :cheers: If i'm not mistaken the gauges on that year are beautiful; using the same optitron tech as the Rx400h. I wish you the best of luck with it, and be sure to check for any transmission leaks!!

Thanks. I know Honda/Acura had their share of bad trannies, but that was in earlier models. Mine is a 2006 and by that time they had upgraded the tranny to the four shaft unit from the Ridgeline and failures decreased dramatically. 2006 was the last model year before the 2nd generation style....hopefully they had the bugs ironed out by then. There have been only two recalls - one to correct the nhtsa phone number in the owner's manual and the other for a hitch mounted bike rack that had an exposed hinge that could crush your fingers. I'm happy about the lack of recalls.