Questions On Tranny

1. How would you know when a tranny is going bad?

2. When tranny starts to slip, what is it from?

3. How would you know of a torque converter is going bad?

4. Whats the cost on a new torque converter and im not talking about the $899 dragon. a performance one. one thats better than the stock. one thats just one up from that?

5. Whats the cost of instalation of a torque converter?

i apperciate any answer that are giving :cheers:

When your transmission slips, shifts hard, late, early, etc it's going bad. Causes are low fluid level, overheating, infrequent fluid changes and probably a few more. The cost of changing one is the cost of transmission R+R plus the cost of a new converter and fluid. Figure at least 4 hours labor. I'm not aware of a one step up from stock other than the high performance variety. I wonder if a hotter converter would eventually kill a stock transmission. If you're going to upgrade the converter you should probably upgrade the trans also.

what are thing that i can do to help the tranny. i just did a drain and refill on the tranny about 3000 miles ago. i have 111k on it now. don't want to do a tranny flush cause that can do more harm than good. what additives are there to help it.

whats the cost of a new or remanufactured tranny and the cost of labor?

why would the tranny flush cause more problems? i was thinking it might be a good thing to try---i get some hard shifting in AM; also the car will slow down fairly abruptly when i release the accelerator, almost like a manual tranny. i had assumed it was the torque convertor, and was going to try a flush first.

Not sure why general publics have perception of “tranny flush cause that can do more harm than good” is beyond my imagination. 25+ years of owning many cars I only had to replace one transmission on a Buick ’83 Grand National, which was my fault. Unfortunately the newer transmissions are more complicated than it uses to be so more attention may be needed. Unlike many transmissions, our SC400 transmissions will only drain 1qt+, which is about 6% of total fluid. Not much gets changed using the drain and fill method. Like the BG system that will heat the oil before sucking the old fluid out and replacing it with the new fluid. I think that is one of the reasons why users feel more shifting after a flush but that is ok. Do the right thing and don’t take a chance.

i've talked to a service tech at lexus along with 5 other mechanics and they say that it could do more harm than good for one because the car has 111k. second i bought the car when it had 65k and never changed the fluid. i know i know, neglect :unsure: . i don't know if the fluid has been ever changed. so because its never been changed and it has 111k it can harm the tranny. thats what i've been told.

• 2 years later...

i've talked to a service tech at lexus along with 5 other mechanics and they say that it could do more harm than good for one because the car has 111k. second i bought the car when it had 65k and never changed the fluid. i know i know, neglect :unsure: . i don't know if the fluid has been ever changed. so because its never been changed and it has 111k it can harm the tranny. thats what i've been told.

:ph34r: 6000 mil tran pan fluid change is addviced.2-2.5gt,20-25% of total in tranny.dealer put dexII in my sc400.tran fluid is now mixed. shifts like sh#t now.1000 mil pan fluid changes[2-2.5gt] with filter change,fixed it.not my idea,slow fliud refresh with T IV fluid.loved tran can see 300,000.

I would not do a flush. A friend who has been a long time in the used car business warned that most of the transmission problems he has experinced over the years have occured after chagning the fluid on high mileage cars. The reason is that transmission fluid has allot of detergent in its additive package that desolves and breaks loose the varnish that builds up over many miles as the original additive package is used up. Much of the varnish that builds up in a high milage transmission does no serious harm. Changing the fluid can break the varnish loose plugging small passages with debris and opening up clearances that were working OK in the dirty condition. I would think a flush might be even worse.

My SC400 has 240,000 mile on it. The transmission performs as well now as when new. I always run in the "power" setting and regularly run her up through the gears at wide open throttle. I had the fluid changed at 90,000 miles per the owner's manual and had no problems, but now that it has significantly more mileage, based upon my friend's advice, I have do only small partial changes.

Transmission shop will probally ask car owner to sign a waiver to the shop, holding the shop not responsible for any problems or damage from a "power flush". Wonder why??

Stick to drain and refill with the correct fluid for your transmission.