I'm Stumped

1995 GS 300

I am trying to replace my cam position sensor. The manual has a picture of it located at the bottom of the block directly behind the flywheel pully on the right (passenger) side. I removed the generator as per the manual however, I have searched for an hour with a flashlight and mirror but I cannot locate the sensor. I see an object that I believe is the cambelt tensioner but I see nothing that remotely looks like the cam position sensor, no protruding wires, no plug, nothing.....

Is the manual in error?

The car starts OK but has a rough idle unless I keep it above 1000 rpms.

1995 GS 300 I am trying to replace my cam position sensor. The manual has a picture of it located at the bottom of the block directly behind the flywheel pully on the right (passenger) side. I removed the generator as per the manual however, I have searched for an hour with a flashlight and mirror but I cannot locate the sensor. I see an object that I believe is the cambelt tensioner but I see nothing that remotely looks like the cam position sensor, no protruding wires, no plug, nothing..... Is the manual in error? The car starts OK but has a rough idle unless I keep it above 1000 rpms.

I believe you have to remove the intake manifold to see/service the Camshaft Position Sensor. Several hour job - you should get a good manual. The object you see at the bottom of the engine is probably the Timing Belt tensioner.

Well, the downloaded pdf manual I purchased is wrong then. Ugh, I hate having to take off the manifold for a lousy sensor. Has anyone here changed one out? Any helpful tips or warnings?