It's all about personal preference...that being said, I've been very happy with Meguiar's "Ultimate Compound" for removing any paint "defects" and polishing the paint, then following that up with Meguiar's "Ultimate Wax". You can get them at Walmart or Advance Auto Parts.

It's all about personal preference...that being said, I've been very happy with Meguiar's "Ultimate Compound" for removing any paint "defects" and polishing the paint, then following that up with Meguiar's "Ultimate Wax". You can get them at Walmart or Advance Auto Parts.

I second this!! The ultimate compound is AMAZING- when first applied it's aggressive but after a few seconds the compound must "break down" a bit, giving a nice shine you'd expect from a very gentle polish. Usually, you'd cut the car with an aggressive compound (leaving the paint very dull) then cut the car with a more gentle polish to bring out the shine. But the ultimate compound does both at the same time.

As for waxes, the best i've found is Collinite's insulator wax. It's incredibly durable...

Oh boy, you're probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this, and here's mine. Consumer Reports rated Zymol #1 overall for all car waxes/polishes a few years ago and I've been using it ever since on my cars. It is an all natural, carnuba/bees wax formula; goes on and comes off easily, protects exceptionally well and produces a brilliant shine. What more could you ask for?! :)