Synthetic?

At my last oil change, the guy at the local shop said Lexus recommends synthetic oil. No one has mentioned this before. I have read something about this issue, and rear bearings, in the past. And it seems they are now recommending it. Is this new, or did they guy know this because he owned a Lexus, too?

It raised the price from $20 to $60. I used to change the oil myself, but for twenty bucks, I can't buy the oil and filter for much less. (but I CAN look over the car, and guarantee my work. They missed a very low rear brake pad, last time).

For syn oil, Toyota recommends 10k intervals for the 2010 Camry’s, and 12k for the 2012s.

(Porsche's go 20k - but take 11q of oil!)

I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 in my wife's '09 RX350 since the 2nd oil change, and still change it every 5k miles. I realize it may be overkill, but I save a lot by doing it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend using synthetic as well. If you plan on doing regularily scheduled oil changes, the OEM filters are best for the price. I haven't had the privledge of changing the oil in my wife's RX yet, (as we just picked it up last week), but I use Castrol Syntec in my Matrix w/ OEM 2zz filters. Most dealers will give you a deal on the filters if you're buying more than 1 filter at a time.

Synthetic here also Mobil 1....as for extension on oil changes those european cars have a lot more capacity....I would stick to 5-7k changes....

• 1 year later...

I've used Mobil 1 in all my cars since 1978 and in several BMW bikes I've owned. There are no good reasons not to use a synthetic in my opinion, except cost. To mitigate that, I buy a 5 qt jug from walmart for about $22, and have the dealer change the oil and filter with my oil for about $20. Have never found a dealer who won't do that.

I've switched to Mobil 1 in several higher mileage cars and never had an issue.

I use 5K changes - mainly because its easier to keep track.

Synthetic is fine in any gas motor made. It is cleaner than dino oil, and lasts 2-3x longer. You will actually save money in the long run due to longer change intervals. I change my oil, then 5K later, change the filter only and top off, then 5K later, change both, and start the cycle again. In theory, you should pick up an extra .10 mpg, or so. Twice, I have send 10,000 mile synthetic oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis, with amazing results.

Been using Mobil 1 for 25 years, in 1955 to 2009 American V8's, motorcycles, lawnmowers, gas tractors, etc.

Jim

buckmeister2

• 1 year later...