Jdm Celsior Motor In Ls400

lexfourcam

I was lookin to purchase a new motor and tranny because there's just too much wrong with my motor now and the tranny is shot. I found a Jdm motor and transmission online with the wiring harness and ecu and was wondering if that would be an easy drop in process with little or no fabrication. TIA, joel

How many people in the U.S. do you think have done something like this? Two, three? Why don't you buy components from an LS designed for the U.S.

The Japanese market engine ECU might get you the Japanese market speed limiter -- but "only" 112 mph should be way more than fast enough. The speed limiter was 150 mph on North American LS400's and the equivalent of 156 mph on those sold in Europe.

well i don't really care about speed to be honest. the slower i can go the more tickets i could avoid. I can't seem to find a motor on the internet and want to find one from a reliable source for a decent price. i'm not looking to spend 3k dollars on a motor and tranny. any suggestions?

In theory, it ought to swap, but I'm certainly not going to go any further than that. Without a wiring diagram it's going to be anyone's guess as to compatibility between a JDM market engine and a North America-spec engine.

I'd try to find one closer to home, versus having one shipped across the planet. If you're in the 'States, there appears to be no shortage of 1UZFEs in salvage yards (errr, at recyclers). Do some dialing in your area or hit car-part.com.

Good luck-

Paul

The basic engine is the same but there are differences in certain areas, for example the JDM engine has traction control so the throttle body has 2 TPS and a TRAC ECU which intrgrates into the Engine ECU and there is no EGR system fitted ( that's a bonus as there is no pipe to fracture).

The cooling fan on JDMs is vicous coupled and the wiring loom for this system may not be present on your car which again may integrate into the engine ECU

The wiring loom will therefore be different to accomodate these differences and although you could work around these it could lead to problems with the engine management system if parts are not connected.

I would go for a USDM engine if you want a straight fit.