Temp Rising, Fan Not Coming On

Yesterday, while sitting in traffic in my '95LS, i noticed my temp starting to rise a bit from dead center as it's always been for years. I immediately got out of traffic, and as soon as I started to drive, it came back down to dead center. A couple of more times during the day when stopped at a light, it would start to creap up, but again...once I got moving it would come back down. It's never done this before.

I went back out several more times during the day, as well as this morning, and it hasn't done it again, regardless of how long i sit still. Very odd.

Anyway...does anybody have any ideas of what could have caused this? Also, while I had my hood open, i did notice that the small fan that is in front of the radiator is not on. I stood there with the car running and the AC on, and during the 5 minutes I stood there, it never came on. However, the temp never rose either.

Any insight here as to things to check before taking it in? Fuse somewhere for the fan? If so, where?

Thanks in advance!

Short out the thermo fan switch on the radiator and see if the fan kicks in.

I understand there is also a 30 Amp fuse that supplies power to the engine cooling fan not sure on location but probably inside the engine bay fusebox behind the battery, there should be fuse details on the inside of the fuse box lid.

There is a temperature sensor which activates the fan when needed. Apparently your sensor has gone south. Of course it could be the fan motor itself which isn't likely with2 fans. I just replaced the sensor on a Miata I own and now the fan works. Not many miatas at pick and pull but a lot of old mazdas. I examined and took pictures of the one I had and sure enough found the exact same. Using a magnifying glass I examined the first one I found and it said china so I kept looking and found another with a part number. Look for the thermostat cover and the sensor is in that area.

• 2 weeks later...