Considering '05 Es330-Dash Warp Question

Hi all,

I'm considering the purchase of a 2005 ES330 for my wife. We both like my 99 LS400. I've driven a few ES330s in my search, and they're very quiet and refined, just as I expected them to be. Prices are all over the board, of course - including those being sold by owners! I have noticed that every one of the ES330s that I have looked at have a passenger airbag cover that is bulging up and split along the seam nearest the front of the car. My question is would the airbag work if there's no airbag light? What about the risk of the airbag going off without a wreck? Has anyone else got the same problem? For lack of a better phrase, the dash looks as though it had taken a beating from the sun. I've spent time searching the forums, and haven't come up with any posts where the same question was answered. I would guess the only way to properly fix such an issue is a new airbag and dash top - very, very expensive. I would just assume purchase a different model than go through that repair.

ES300 models, just before the ES330s don't seem to have the dash warp issue. I think I've looked at 5 different ES330s now, each with a bulge in the same spot, and if I recall correctly, they're all Southern cars.

The one that I've identified as a potential purchase is low miles, clean, priced right, clean CarFax, but I'm going to have to travel to get it and test it out. If the bulge isn't a real issue, then it would be a perfect car for my family, and the safety features would exceed that of my 99LS. I told the dealer that I would give him a decision on Friday, if the car was still there.

Thanks for any advice!

Micah

I have that issue with my Lexus as well. I was told it has to do with uv damage on the dash. It would not affect the performance of the airbag deployment. Note, your 99 ls400 is a safer car than the 02-06 es300/330 series per iihs.org look at the injury med/pip frequencies. Ls400 is 40% below average while the Es330 is 25% below due to it is a smaller lighter car.

Micah,

I work from time to time in a shop where it is common to replace blown dash air bags. The dash itself and the air bag cover are completely separate from the bag assembly. Dash material shrinkage will have no adverse affect on the bag if it was needed to employ.

As for the cover starting to shrink, my wife's 04 es330 shows signs of the same thing. It isn't a concern for me, and if it becomes unsightly, I'll have it repaired. We have a technician who travels to all of the dealerships and car sales lots to do minor blemish corrections. Our guy can repair tears in covertible tops (minor ones) and seats (leather or vinyl) and fix holes in interior panels. After he colour matches finishes with an air brush and paints them ( with colours he mixes on the spot ) you can not see the repair.

Such a vinyl repair done on the air bag cover should last for many years, considering that the dash receives very little waer and tear. Such a repair should cost less than a $100, which normally includes the technician's travelling expenses to your location. Check with the various usedcar lots in your area to locate one. The one we have locally goes by the trade name Fibrenew (pronounced "fibe renew", short for fiber renew I believe). Good Luck!

Thanks so very much for the help. I feel considerably more confident in the car at this point. I like everything else about the car. Adrian, your note is very interesting about my older LS being more safe. I hadn't thought about it from a structure/weight standpoint. I was thinking about side airbags (possible rear-side airbags as well) in the ES. I know my car has side airbags, but surely the design would have improved over the course of 6 years. Granted, the ES and LS are completely different models, so I recognize the flaw in my comparison. Gbhrps, I'd be glad to check with the car lots to see who they suggest as a repair technician. Excellent suggestion. Good to know there are others on the board who are experiencing the same issue.

Once acquired, we'll immediately start saving up for the 90k service (has 86k miles now). Years and miles would indicate a timing belt/water pump service are due. Tires will be next, and it should then be good for a while (hopefully).

Micah,

See my post on the timing belt thread on this same page of the forum. Since the ES330 shares so many parts with the Camry of the same years, just about any competent mechanic can do the timing belt/water pump fixes. You don't need to go back to Lexus if you wish to save some money.

Well, I'm the proud new owner of a 2004 ES330. It's not the same one that I mentioned in the above post. That one came back from the inspection needing just a little too much work. The 2004 that I purchased looks nearly brand new, and was maintained by the Lexus dealership according to Lexus.com. It has a few more miles than the 05 model, but still just less than 100k and actually is in better shape visually (and mechanically). Came back from inspection with a clean report, and costs just a little less than the 05 model. I get the car tonight! It will be my wife's car, and it will be a surprise for her.

Glad to have gotten an inspection! Just a little extra peace of mind.

micah,

Welcome to the club, and enjoy your ride! Your bride is going to be thrilled.

She was thrilled! Took it for a quick drive last night. It is sooo much quieter than her Suzuki XL-7. The Suzuki, I have to admit, has been an excellent vehicle, surpassing my expectations for reliability and foul weather capability. We're keeping in in the family, giving it to my daughter to drive back and forth to school. The ES330 is in top notch condition, and the leather is soft and supple, and the engine is so quiet. My LS is quiet, but the ES is even quieter. This weekend, it will be treated to a Mobil 1 oil change. I've just purchased an owners manual via Ebay. Can any one shoot me the oil capacity? 5 quarts with a filter change?

Thanks,

Micah