2003 Es300 Timing Belt Service Failure

Help, I was just told by my Lexus service advisor that my es300 cam and crankshaft seals have failed, and leaking oil into the timing belt case, the timing belt is cracked and the water pump is leaking. He asked me if I ever had the service done. My car has 126k miles done and I had replaced all of these items at a Toyota dealership in oct 2010 at 105k miles. Lexus told me that the parts and labor are out of the 12 month warranty and I wasted my $900 and that is why I never should do a 90k service anywhere but Lexus.

What should I do? Should I take the car back to Toyota to have them verify this fact. I am surprised because both Lexus and toyota serviced the car last month and the only thing they told me were bad valve cover gaskets. This makes me think someone does not know what is going on. Any ideas?

Adrian

I would definetly contact the toyota dealership...Something doesnt make sense. If these items were replaced than, they should not have failed.....

Adrian,

Any competent mechanic can do the timing belt service on your Lexus. They don't have to be affiliated with Lexus or Toyota.

That said, someone is giving you a line of bull****, either the original shop who did the work at 105k miles (they didn't do the work or possibly didn't do it correctly), or the second shop is trying to get you to do work that is not required.

One, get an independent shop to inspect the timing belt (they just need to remove part of the belt cover to see it, and then turn the engine several times to see its condition over its entire length). Two, get them to put it on a hoist and check to see if the water pump is leaking coolant (typically they leak small amounts out of a small hole in the bottom of the pump, visible from under the car.)

Armed with that knowledge you'll be able to go back to whomever and get some satisfaction, hopefully. If not, any competent mechanic can do both jobs at much less cost than the dealerships.

As well, check YouTube for a short video on either the ES330 or the Camry "timing belt change" from the same generation, and you should find several that take you step by step through the job. Its not rocket science. I tackled my first timing belt change last fall and it was not hard at all. Good Luck!