Windshield Replacement

SW03ES

Just thought I'd fill you guys in. Had a rock hit the windshield in the ES the other day, just completed the process of making my insurance company cover original equipment Lexus glass. Just the windshield costs $1,300, total job is like $1,600. They of course wanted me to use aftermarket glass for $445 installed. Wasn't too big a hassle getting it covered.

Lexus dealer is doing the install, so it will be covered by their warranty and guarantee. They're ordering the parts now and it'll be done next week when I get back from out of town.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anybody needs guidance on how to get OEM glass covered, post here and I'll be happy to help.

Just thought I'd fill you guys in. Had a rock hit the windshield in the ES the other day, just completed the process of making my insurance company cover original equipment Lexus glass. Just the windshield costs $1,300, total job is like $1,600. They of course wanted me to use aftermarket glass for $445 installed. Wasn't too big a hassle getting it covered.

Lexus dealer is doing the install, so it will be covered by their warranty and guarantee. They're ordering the parts now and it'll be done next week when I get back from out of town.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anybody needs guidance on how to get OEM glass covered, post here and I'll be happy to help.

Hi Steve. Definetly want to know.

Its actually kind of a weird story, maybe you have some insight. I have had OEM windshields put in cars before, a previous Lexus and my old Explorer, but that was when I had Nationwide. No issues whatsoever, never even batted an eye.

I've had Allstate for probably 10 years now, long story about why I switched, but it has to do with my wife and being uninsured when she moved here from NJ before we were married, and needing to go through MAIF for coverage, then after MAIF she was "high risk" and Nationwide wouldn't write her a policy or list her on mine so I wound up switching to the Allstate agency that wrote her MAIF policy so I could be the principal on the policy, blah blah blah. Have a very good relationship with my Allstate agency.

Well, I called their office and they suggested I file a claim online...which I did. Got no feedback. Called the agency back and they saw no record of the claim, so they filed it for me over the phone. Got a callback from Allstate claims and processed it. Requested OEM glass, they gave me a number to have the shop call and get the approval but said it should be fine.

I'm having Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria do the job, the guy at their shop called the number with the part numbers and all and the claim number. He gets a denial, says all they will approve is Aftermarket glass. So...I called my Agency and explained why I wanted OEM glass, that I have had problems with distortions and clarity with aftermarket glass, that the Lexus has an acoustic windshield and rain repellant glass, as well as a rain sensor for the wipers and I know a lot of people have problems with them when using aftermarket glass, etc. So, he called the claims center...and they said it should be no problem, they had denoted it in the file and to have the shop call back.

Shop calls back...claim is denied. No mention of anything in the file.

So I call the agency again, and this time talk to my actual agent. He pulls the system up...no claim. So he gives me another number to call and I file it again...this time I'm directed to take the vehicle to one of their claim processing centers. Which I did...and the OEM glass was approved no problem, they cut me a check for the amount specified by Lindsay Lexus. I was there for 10 minutes.

The Agency is completely baffled. We both think the issue was that Allstate has partnered with Safelite and now Safelite processes all their "glass only" claims. The claim number I had was a Safelite claim number, and the logos and all on the documents they sent the shop were all branded Safelite. Safelite, being a manufacturer of auto glass was of course denying the claim. When I called in the third time they processed it as an Allstate comprehensive claim and did it through Allstate instead of Safelite...and there was no issue...

Steve, how big was the damage on your glass? I've had a rock hit my GX and chipped it. It's tiny enough that a $45 repair would do the trick but the damage is around the driver's line of sight so it's an eye sore for me especially when the windshield is clean. If there's bugs on my windshield you wouldn't notice it. They gave me an estimate of $1700 for an OEM windshield and this does NOT include labor. :-O Same thing happened to my LS on a recent trip and of course the chip is around the driver's line of sight AGAIN... These windshields are expensive considering how precise they are because of sound insulation along with ease of installing the auto dimming mirror, wiper sensor, etc.

That's why I decided to get the "windshield protection insurance" from BMW when I got my 5 series. They mentioned that at the end of lease if there's a chip or crack bigger than a certain size, I would have to replace it myself. With the insurance they sold me though, if there's an "unacceptable damage" at lease return, they will cover it.

When did you get the LS? Nice! I see the new 535 too, also very nice. I just drove one of them yesterday.

Its probably 4 inches across, might be repairable but it would bug me...

Well I am 99.9% sure the problem is the partnership with Safelite. Honestly it is so easy for your agency to file the claim for you I can not believe they asked you to do it online. Also if a customer insist on OEM glass the claim honestly needs to be called in to Allstate...obviously if Safelite is administering the glass program they will not approve the repair with OEM glass just as they can not approve repairs with other providers. However you can still use anyone you want to make the repairs.

Nationwide and most companies are also using the same programs to administer their glass programs too. If you want shoot me your policy number (PM) I will do a quick check to make sure you are getting all your discounts.

Yeah that is my guess too, makes sense. I was surprised by that too, what I kind of wanted was for them to just take care of it for me, which is what they've done the couple times I've had claims over the years I've been there. Oh well.

I will do that, I'll shoot you a PM. I have to dig it up LOL

About 4 inches? Oh yeah, that's definitely asking for a replacement! The diameters on my chips are probably 60% the diameter of a penny lol. So it's hard to justify emptying $1700 (plus labor) our of my pocket (times TWO actually, one for the GX, but I didn't even bother to ask for the LS lol) just to have a new OEM windshield installed.

Thanks Steve! I've been trying to keep it on low radar as my pops didn't want to spread the word yet. I personally know several people in my town that could be reading this forum when they're bored Lol.It's been 2 months so we're still fairly new with it but we're loving every second of the drive! This is the first time I will say this though, I don't mind sitting in the back seat! LOL. Not only is there generous leg room but I love the reclining back seats (along with the seat heater/cooler)

I don't want to be off topic too much, but how did you like the 535i? I love it! It's better than my previous 528i. I have to admit, the backup camera on the BMW is more CLEAR than the camera that Lexus uses. Don't get wrong though, the Lexus camera is decent (as compared to like the G37 I had one day and that backup camera definitely was more "fish eyed") but the BMW has a very clear camera.

Your insurance won't cover a replacement?

I liked the 535, not as much as I thought I would though. I love the way they look, styling and detailing outside are great. I like the interior, some of the switchgear and the mechanism for the doors for the cupholders, etc are a little chintzy for a $60k+ vehicle IMHO. Drivewise it rides great, great handling, but I found the transmission a little slow to shift and a little clunky. Steering felt a little too light to me, and the steering wheel is big, black and cheap looking/feeling if you don't get the sport package with the sport wheel. Wheel has a really thin diameter at top which I thought was strange for such a sporty car, and when BMWs typically have big thick wheels.

The 535 is a clear winner in the exterior department, but I gotta say ride and drive and interior I prefer the new GS.

I'm pretty sure they would but I don't want to go thru the hassle of fighting for an OEM glass when they're just gonna give me an aftermarket one like they first offered you. Especially that I now need TWO windshield since 2 of my cars have been "scarred" as I call it lol.

Anyways I haven't had the chance to test out the new GS. Before the 535 I was pushing for the new GS350 but my mom didn't want our garage to have all Lexus vehicles and no variety. So here's my impression with the 535i.

It's definitely a little more powerful than my previous 5. Even though the body is heavier on the new one, the twin turbo and few more horses does help. I noticed though was that the new 5 series doesn't "hug" the road as well as the previous 5. This is going to sound odd but the new 5 feels "comfy" even though all of them come with Run Flats (ugh they're hard as a rock). The suspension feels softer than my previous 5, which probably explains why the previous 5 hugs better.

The steering wheel does feel awkward as I didn't get the sport package. I love the bigger screen and they finally put an engine temperature gauge (which was missing in the previous 5)! I love the layout of the speedometer even though they still light up RED :chairshot: The best part I love is the LED Halos over the halogen Halos I used to have.

Now I'm really curious about the new GS. Maybe I need to pay my Lexus dealer a visit ^_^

SW, was there a deductible? I had such bad luck when replacing the windshield on my RX300 a few years ago, as we tried the $200 "aftermarket" route. They replaced it at least 3 times but every piece of glass had some type of defect in it; the first was wavy on one side, the second was wavy on the other, etc. Good thing you're going OEM! I think it's also a good idea that you're having it done through Lexus just in case you keep the ES and want them to warranty it; I know sometimes that replacement windshields can crack due to being put in incorrectly... you know the average shop would never warranty a replacement like Lexus!

My comprehensive deductible is only $50...

Hey Dens, did you see the latest issue of I think Motor Trend? The GS beat the 5 in the compero.

And that is waived if they can repair it! So if it is a small chip it isn't a bad idea to get it repaired if it is in a spot that isn't that going to bug you.

Hey Dens, did you see the latest issue of I think Motor Trend? The GS beat the 5 in the compero.

I got mine in the mail but have not had the time to even open the first page lol... Really? Which 5 did they compare it to? Was it GS350 vs 535i or 528i? Before going home tonight and opening my Motor Trend magazine, I want to say that they compared the GS350 with the 535i since the 528i is now a twin turbo 4cyl .

It was the GS350 F-Sport vs the 535 (with the sport package!), the A6 & the M37. It was GS, 5, A6, M.

They said the GS felt like the 5 used to feel.

And that is waived if they can repair it! So if it is a small chip it isn't a bad idea to get it repaired if it is in a spot that isn't that going to bug you.

I'd rather spend the $50 and get a new OEM Lexus windshield ;)

I'd rather spend the $50 and get a new OEM Lexus windshield ;)

I don't blame you but to be honest I had a chip repaired on my rx330 that you would have never known it had been fixed. It depends on how big it is and where it is located. All I was saying is sometimes if it is a small chip get it repaired so it wont split or crack the rest of the window. And for some people that have a 500 comp deductible check with your company to see if you actually have to pay that to get your window fixed, some companies will waive it if it can be repaired...for obvious reasons. I also have a $50 deductible on comp myself.

Glad you got your new window in...

Yeah this is like 3-4 inches across and theres a big chunk of glass thats been torn out, wouldn't repair well. I'd much rather repair it like 70% though than replace the OEM glass with aftermarket...

I don't have it in yet, they cut me a check but it looks like I'm finally going to have it installed on Monday...

Got the windshield installed! Looks great...

Can't say enough about this Lindsay Lexus Collision Center in Alexandria. I had a bumper repainted on my Dad's old 98 LS there 12-13 years ago, and it was just a little hole in the wall. Now its got to be the most impressive body shop facility I've ever seen, all brand new. Clean, drive in inside reception area like the Lexus service department, beautiful interior area, waiting room, little showroom of new Lexus cars to kill time, and the whole body area is all glass, looks like an assembly plant. VERY cool...and every car there was a Lexus too...really impressive.

I believe (I haven't read it in detail) it's just a M-sport appearance package. Now I'm really curious how the new GS feels as BMW usually wins these competitions. I remember back in 2010 on the last year of the E60 (5-series) bodystyle, the 5 series won against the new E-class, and whoever it competed against.

A sales guy told me that BMW is catering more to the women. They shouldn't. Every brand is made the way they should be. A person looking for comfort won't buy a Ferrari even if they can afford it.

So SW I met with the Safelite regional manager and guess what...he said that they do stock OEM glass for Lexus, BMW and all other cars. He said that actually they stock more OEM glass than any company and many times car dealerships call them if the glass is on back order... From what he said when you requested the OEM glass Safelite should have gotten the approval from Allstate on your behalf. If they denied the OEM glass that would be the only reason you should have had to call Allstate. Which he said he didn't think would happen...not on that new of a car.

• 9 months later...

This maybe something I am looking at in the future as mine is getting pitted. Any info would help.

• 2 months later...

I had 2 new BMWs when I lived in Arizona. They handle great. However both were nothing but problems. Interior materials were waering after a few months. Paint chips coming off door handles, weather stripping worn on both front doors. A/C problems, window problems, radio problems and terrible service.

Went over to Mercedes, more problems. No more German cars for me. These cars are not reliable. Just check the ratings.

I wish you luck. AT least BMW pays for service maint!