Something Is Stuck In My Center Console! Help!

EchoGold

Hello all,

I am new here, and have had my 2004 GX for the better part of two years! Its a fantastic car, but now I need your help!

I don't know how it happened, but I got something wedged in doors of the little cubby at the rear of the center console! Crazy, right? So, I am wondering how I disassemble that assembly so I can get in there! Does anyone know?

Also, I have been looking for a copy of the factor repair manual online (for a free download if possible) and can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks so much!

EchoGold

The attached diagram seems to show that part of the console as a single unit. I suppose you could try removing it, turning it upside down and sideways and shaking/gently knocking it to see if you can free up the doors..

post-2157-0-02865800-1335225215_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the diagram as I needed it too - exact same issue as EchoGold - storage compartment only opens about 80% and there's something stuck in the mechanism as it used to open fully.

How about a center console dis-assembly diagram?

-Eric

Thanks for the diagram as I needed it too - exact same issue as EchoGold - storage compartment only opens about 80% and there's something stuck in the mechanism as it used to open fully.

How about a center console dis-assembly diagram?

-Eric

I don't think you will find a more detailed diagram than the one I provided. I've got the full set of official Lexus repair manuals for my 2000 LS400 and there are no console disassembly instructions in them.

From my experience disassembling the consoles of Toyota and Lexus vehicles are generally the same - wood and plastic panels held in place by friction fittings and sometimes a screw bolt or two hidden under a pry-off removable vent cover or similar.

I'm guessing that your console box can be pried out like the one in my LS. Sets of hard plastic interior trim removal tools can be purchased at auto parts stores. One of my favorite tools for interior trim is a stiff metal blade putty knife with the blade wrapped with a little electrical tape to prevent damage.

The main thing to remember is to be gentle but firm. Work your way around a trim piece and pry a little at a time. If something doesn't want to let go, stop and look for hidden fasteners. Sometimes interior panels and trim can be pretty hard to remove. The first time I removed the console wood in my current LS, it was a real bear -- I've removed it several times since and it has been easier but maybe it is now because I know exactly where are six hidden friction fasteners are located.

• 9 months later...

I had the same problem and just kinda winged it to get the unit loose. It did take a while, opening the doors while rotating and shaking the console. A pen finally cropped out that the original owner dropped in there some time in the past. Mike