Keyless Entry: Bad Remote Or Computer?

david1walker

Lately, my '95 LS400 keyless remote has no range. I literally have to stand 1 foot from the car, and push it 5 different times before it works. I of course have swapped batteries, and that apparently isn't the issue. Is this a sign that the remote itself needs to be replaced, or do I need to get a new remote brain/unit for in the car? If so, has anybody swapped one of these out, and are they difficult?

thanks in advance!

Before you go any further, you will want to verify that you indeed have a fresh, new battery in the remote. It is entirely possible to get a bad battery even from the store. Second, try pressing and holding the button until you hear the unlock. Many times we, myself included, punch the button quickly and expect results. The trunk release is, in particular, very slow to respond. It could also be dirty/oxidized contacts within the keyfob itself leading to erratic behavior so you might want to take the fob apart and clean. Also, clean the battery contacts. The lint and dirt in our pockets tends to get into these fobs over many years of use.

The fact that the remote unlock does work occasionally is good news. I doubt that you need a new "remote brain" for the car.

I'll give those things a try tonight, and report back....

I thought I had the same problem on my 2001 LS430 UL, but it turned out to be an auto lock accuator motor that was on its death bed. Any sounds you get by activating the remote is good news. Typically the door computer will only beep if your command has been satisfied, thus silence with a bad lock actuator motor. Step back with the new battery an try different things and listen. I took apart the door latch assembly and replaced the tiny (slot car style) motor and then everything was back to normal. So in the normal sequence of failures, first it's the remote battery, next the actuator motor. Please check out the fuses too.

• 3 weeks later...

succinct, indeed!! Thanks for letting us know what it was.

Oops, Never mind!

I just realized this was a suggestion of what to check instead of the actual problem!!

i have had the same problem the quick and safe also cheap fix is just get a alarm system installed and it will also trigger both alarms once the door lock mode is onthen you will have double coverage on your security systemalso have keyless entry because a new brain will run about $500.00 plus other charges a new alarm can go cheap as $130.00 installed (viper system) also your insurance company may give you a better rate mine did (USAA) good luck