Gs 300 200 Oxygen Sensor

Hello,

a while ago I had a check engine light come on, it turned out to be oxygen sensor that went bad, after haivng replaced it at a shop, all was OK for a while, but, about 3K in miles later, the light came on again, and the code turned to be for an oxygen sensor again (but for another one now).

i searched the forums (did not find a topic exactly answering my question, but similar) and it seems that both sensors have to be replaced at once and replacing just one will just make the other sensor trip the code again.

now, when i replace the sensor, can i just replace one, or do I have to replace two?

also, I did not find a Haynes book on GS 300. can anybody help with a simple guide to replacing the sensor (i'm told it's as easy as replacing a light bulb)?

and if I take it to a shop, how much should I expect to pay to replace it?

i'm told (by the error code description) that it is the sensor located behind the first catalytic convertor, before the second one (and since there are two pair of sensors, how do I find out which of the two sensors to replace)?

Thanks

Hello,

a while ago I had a check engine light come on, it turned out to be oxygen sensor that went bad, after haivng replaced it at a shop, all was OK for a while, but, about 3K in miles later, the light came on again, and the code turned to be for an oxygen sensor again (but for another one now).

i searched the forums (did not find a topic exactly answering my question, but similar) and it seems that both sensors have to be replaced at once and replacing just one will just make the other sensor trip the code again.

now, when i replace the sensor, can i just replace one, or do I have to replace two?

also, I did not find a Haynes book on GS 300. can anybody help with a simple guide to replacing the sensor (i'm told it's as easy as replacing a light bulb)?

i'm told (by the error code description) that it is the sensor located behind the first catalytic convertor, before the second one (and since there are two pair of sensors, how do I find out which of the two sensors to replace)?

Thanks

if i'm not mistaken, one o2 sensor should be on your manifold and the other one should be down along the exaust pipes right next to your cats. check to see if that's where the 2nd sensor is. good luck. i think you need to replace both of them just to be safe.

just replace the one by the cats. They are to damn expensive to replace both. Especially if one only has 3 thousand miles. It's an easy job. Soak it in penetrsting oil and use an o2 sensoe socket. Unscrew it and replace with a new one, coat the threads with antisieze compund. Get one with the factory plug already on, so you don't have to splice wires. It will be about 120 dollars.

just replace the one by the cats. They are to damn expensive to replace both. Especially if one only has 3 thousand miles. It's an easy job. Soak it in penetrsting oil and use an o2 sensoe socket. Unscrew it and replace with a new one, coat the threads with antisieze compund. Get one with the factory plug already on, so you don't have to splice wires. It will be about 120 dollars.

Thanks. why soak in oil first?

you live in atlanta , exhaust components rust quickly, do I need to say anymore. You are spraying penetration oil on the old sensor and letting it soak overnight. It will come out much easier! You're probably looking at about $200 for a shop to do it. Do it yourself, don't be a wuss. :P

Hello,

Thanks

if i'm not mistaken, one o2 sensor should be on your manifold and the other one should be down along the exaust pipes right next to your cats. check to see if that's where the 2nd sensor is. good luck. i think you need to replace both of them just to be safe.

Why are we replacing two them when one fail? Why is it safe? What is the code?

JPI