Install Satellite Tuner To Navigation System In 08 350Es

djdaugherty

To my dismay, satellite radio was not included in the 08 ES350 I just purchased. It has Navigation but I really like Sirius and would like to add it. I found an aftermarket solution and I recall the Lexus salesman telling me installation is done by removing the glovebox and accessing the rear of the radio there. Does anyone know anything about this or can recommend first hand knowledge of installation steps?

The approximately $250 sat radio kits for Lexus on eBay come with installation instructions which usually involve pulling the head unit or navigation unit out of the dash to access the back of the unit. I've never heard anyone say that it can be done by just removing the glovebox but maybe it is possible. I wouldn't pay much attention to what a car salesman says.

We have the VAIS sat radio kit in our 2008. It works periodically. I've discussed the issue with VAIS tech support to no avail yet. Perhaps I'll drive over to Denver & personally pay them a visit.

To be fair, I think the problem is with the XM receiver included with the VAIS box, not the VAIS box itself.

Yes, the entire head unit had to be pulled out for the install--no access to the head unit connectors through the glove box. We had a local stereo store do the install due to the need to run the antenna wire all the way to the rear of the car to be mounted on the leading edge of the trunk lid & I just didn't want the aggravation.

Hope you have better luck than I have had.

To clarify the problem I had with VAIS XM, the XM would not work/play when the car was cold--ever. When the car warmed up, it would usually play fine. Must be a cold solder joint or a cracked circuit board--not my problem.

VAIS agreed to replace the XM tuner (part of the VAIS Sat Kit) under warranty if I sent it back to them. The stereo store that originally installed the kit was willing to show me how to remove the head unit, which took maybe 10 minutes. It's not terribly difficult with the right tools. We removed the tuner and I mailed it to VAIS yesterday.

On the way home, the radio/stereo didn't work at all. I called VAIS & was told "something got unplugged that shouldn't have been." I used my newly acquired skills to (again) remove the head unit at home & sure enough, one of the big cables was unplugged on the back of the head unit. Plugged it in & now the stereo works again. No XM of course, but I feel totally capable of removing the head unit again when the new XM tuner arrives.

No, I didn't take photos. But, you can't remove the head unit without one of those plastic panel pry bars--that's almost an absolute, but I suppose you might succeed with a tape-wrapped screwdriver. Harbor Freight sells a 5-piece set of those pry bars for about $8.00--a great deal. Four panels must be removed and then you can remove the four 10mm bolts that secure the head unit in the dash. Don't drop a bolt as it will disappear into the dark side! Then the entire head unit pulls out to allow access to the cables on the back.

UPDATE--May 5, 2012. Shipped the bad XM receiver to VAIS on May 2nd. The new receiver arrived on May 4th. Excellent service from VAIS!!!

I immediately installed the new receiver in the ES and after waiting for a "ping" (initialization signal) from XM for over 40 minutes, it is now working fine. I didn't even have to re-program the station buttons in the head unit. The actual remove/replace took less than 15 minutes.

XM wanted to charge me $15 to change the service from the broken receiver to the new one. I reminded the person on the phone that the broken receiver was an XM product, and that it failed, necessitating all this extra effort on my part to get a new one & install it. After "consulting with my supervisor", they decided to change the service for free. Well, whoopee!

I have my fingers crossed that I won't have to do this again.

Great service from VAIS, its a small company and the guy who owns it (I forget his name, Ethan maybe) is very hands on. I had several discussions with him before I bought my VAIS unit years ago.

• 3 months later...

I just had the Vais system installed in my ES 350. I am having a problem where it plays fine at first but then I constantly get static interference as if I were driving through a garage. I don't know if it's the Vais, the antenna, or tsb (SB0042-09 - Audio System - Satellite Radio Inop Until Ign. Is Cycled) with the factory nav. I really liked the Vais system because it integrates perfectly with my unit. Can anyone offer advise on how to remedy this?