Everybody Do Me A Favor... Watch Out Before Backing Up

CD...what's wrong back up camera not working? :ph34r: Sorry man bad joke.

I have done the same thing and the first thing I thought was why in the hell did you park there? I try to back into my spot at my office for this reason alone...I don't care back up camera, parking sensors...when you are used to backing up and nothing is ever behind you sometimes you just don't pay attention.

Thank goodness it wasn't a child. I had gotten careless about looking at the backup camera and recently while backing out of a parking place I hit a car that was backing out of spot behind me. I found there is a slight delay between putting the car in reverse and the camera activating so got in a hurry and start backing immediately. I now force myself look at the camera image every time so it becomes a habit..

CD...what's wrong back up camera not working? :ph34r: Sorry man bad joke.

I have done the same thing and the first thing I thought was why in the hell did you park there? I try to back into my spot at my office for this reason alone...I don't care back up camera, parking sensors...when you are used to backing up and nothing is ever behind you sometimes you just don't pay attention.

I agree, it just becomes a habit. My neighbor was holding a party and there were cars parked on both sides of the street. Of course, one of them had its nose at the edge of my driveway enterance, and boom, i hit it. It was totally dark out- there was no way i was avoiding this unless it was during the day. The back-up camera probably wouldn't have helped much, since it was on the side (at the end of my driveway i just looked out the back window, which was clear).

The worst part was walking over and finding out who's car it was... The police report reads "Car A reverses into car B (stationary) at 90 degree angle", which of course i am car A.

The other car (camry) had a little more damage than mine; smashed side marker, fender and bumper. Mine just needs a new bumper and rear side marker. The car's at the auto-body shop as we speak- should be done early next week.

Thankfully as you guys already mentioned, at least it was a car and not a person... At least a person would know not to cross my driveway when they see me backing up though!

We had our RX400h for not much more than a couple of months when we headed out on vacation to Monterey. On the way back, we stopped at a gas station that had multiple layers of cars, waiting to pull up to the pumps. As we were waiting, some guy in a Frontier pickup decided that he would try to weave through the vehicles that were behind the pumps - yes, he drove backwards so that he wouldn't have to wait 2 minutes for the guy at the pump in front of him to pull away.

Because we were not directly behind him, I didn't think much about it but all of a sudden, he changes course and started heading directly for us. A vehicle was behind us but I attempted to put the tranny in reverse to move back a bit. Sadly, he was moving too quickly and slammed into the RX. The first thing I asked him was "What were you thinking?". He replied, "Why didn't you get out of my way?".

His insurance, Allstate, decided I was 10% at fault because I didn't beep the horn. Subsequently, they paid only 90% of the damages. One year later, a judge ruled that the pickup driver was indeed 100% at fault and we received the last 10%.

Accidents are no fun, that's for certain!

cduluk, in washington state if the parked car was there illegally, i.e. they left less than three feet from the edge of your drive way to the front of their car, you are not liable. Also do you want to sell the black step bumper cover from your old bumper, or are they reusing it? I never replaced mine after the last person backed into my bumper, ;)

We had our RX400h for not much more than a couple of months when we headed out on vacation to Monterey. On the way back, we stopped at a gas station that had multiple layers of cars, waiting to pull up to the pumps. As we were waiting, some guy in a Frontier pickup decided that he would try to weave through the vehicles that were behind the pumps - yes, he drove backwards so that he wouldn't have to wait 2 minutes for the guy at the pump in front of him to pull away.

Because we were not directly behind him, I didn't think much about it but all of a sudden, he changes course and started heading directly for us. A vehicle was behind us but I attempted to put the tranny in reverse to move back a bit. Sadly, he was moving too quickly and slammed into the RX. The first thing I asked him was "What were you thinking?". He replied, "Why didn't you get out of my way?".

His insurance, Allstate, decided I was 10% at fault because I didn't beep the horn. Subsequently, they paid only 90% of the damages. One year later, a judge ruled that the pickup driver was indeed 100% at fault and we received the last 10%.

Are you serious?? Because you didn't beep the horn? I never learned that we needed to do that in drivers ed LOL. I'm glad they gave you the 10% after though, better late than never!

Unfortunately in my situation i'm at fault (according to the police). They claim i could have seen the car and that i backed out of my own driveway too close to the edge... I didn't feel like arguing; i'll let the insurance companies argue it out. We dropped the Rx400h off at my favorite body shop, and we got a call the other day from our insurance company. They quoted $2,500 to fix it LOL. Since our shop's covering the deductible, they gave the shop $2,000. It doesn't look more than $800 to me, but what do i care... This body shop does AMAZING work, absolutely amazing.

Hopefully i should get it back next week!

cduluk, in washington state if the parked car was there illegally, i.e. they left less than three feet from the edge of your drive way to the front of their car, you are not liable. Also do you want to sell the black step bumper cover from your old bumper, or are they reusing it? I never replaced mine after the last person backed into my bumper, ;)

I agree completely! But unfortunately for me, on the police report it seems to indicate it was my fault. When i was talking to the cop about who's fault it was, he said "Let the insurance companies figure it out." And i think my shop's gonna use the bumper protector, but if they use a new one i'll definitely ask for the old one back. For $2,000 they'd better! :whistles:

• 2 weeks later...

I got the car last Thursday- the work came out perfect! The car's a bit dirty but you get the idea. ^_^

fe13dt.jpg

katzjamr, unfortunately didn't save the black bumper cover. :(

Are you serious?? Because you didn't beep the horn? I never learned that we needed to do that in drivers ed LOL. I'm glad they gave you the 10% after though, better late than never!

Yes, so according to the folks at Allstate, if you're sitting at a light and the person in front of you decides to put the car in reverse and slam ito you, you have to beep your horn before they do or you are partly at fault.

When Allstate says in their commercial that they will "fight for you", they mean to say that they will twist the law in any possible way to make sure payout is never 100% to the owner of the car you plowed into.

In your case, the proximity of the other car and the fact that you normally would not have to worry about backing out of your driveway made the blamed party designation a bit of a tough call. Of course, if your insurance company were Allstate, they would've stated that the owner of car into which you drove should've installed an infrared warning device with 110dB siren. At least then, Allstate could've saved 10% for a year or so......... :)

Thankfully, your car's bumber looks new again.

Yes, so according to the folks at Allstate, if you're sitting at a light and the person in front of you decides to put the car in reverse and slam ito you, you have to beep your horn before they do or you are partly at fault.

When Allstate says in their commercial that they will "fight for you", they mean to say that they will twist the law in any possible way to make sure payout is never 100% to the owner of the car you plowed into.

In your case, the proximity of the other car and the fact that you normally would not have to worry about backing out of your driveway made the blamed party designation a bit of a tough call. Of course, if your insurance company were Allstate, they would've stated that the owner of car into which you drove should've installed an infrared warning device with 110dB siren. At least then, Allstate could've saved 10% for a year or so......... :)

Thankfully, your car's bumber looks new again.

Damn.. just my luck LOL. I'm just glad my car's fixed- you can't tell from the pictures but the shop did a superb job. I'm thinking of ordering one of those back-up sensor kits someone posted about a few weeks ago. :unsure:

Sorry to hear about that CD, happens to everybody though! Nothing worse than damaging your own car...one time I backed one of my cars into my other car. You can imagine how I felt about that LOL.

Glad its all fixed!