1994 Lexus Ls 400 Timing Belt Help

Larry W

I replaced the coolant overflow bottle, fan clutch, t-stat, coolant and a new belt. After 15-20 mins of running coolant was running out of the front of the engine. Mechanic says the water pump is bad.

I purchased a new pump and after he tore everything down he now says the timing belt is contaminated from oil seeping from the front of the valve covers. I knew it was leaking and was trying not to do the job until more funds were available. I'm OK with changing these items out since I want to keep the car running forever (if possible). He recommended changing the plugs, wires, timing belt & components (?), and a throttle body service (along with the water pump). Have I covered everything that should be done with this service? I don't want to miss anything. Thank you in advance. Also is it necessary to use genuine Lexus parts for this repair? I'll use a name brand timing belt if you feel its OK. Please advise.

Might as well replace the tensioner and idler bearing for the timing belt. I recently did the job myself on my 1995 and I purchased all OEM parts. If you are having a mechanic do it, if he purchases the parts, he has to warranty them too. Mine also called for cam and crank seal replacement. Not hard to do when all the parts are off of the car. My car only had 88k miles when I did it so I opted to not replace those seals, they weren't leaking anyway, time will tell if I made a good decision!

Also, the throttle body service is completely seperate job from the timing belt/ water pump. I was able to purchase the parts I needed as a kit, the dealer was way to pricey and I had to buy everything separate. Good luck!

Would the Napa dealer be a good source for these parts?

I like Napa and they can carry some very high quality parts. However, with all the labor that is involved in a water pump/timing belt change, I would stay with Toyota OEM. There are some kits available online that are very reasonable. I believe the OEM is Aisin and you can buy a kit at Rock Auto for $182 (not endorsing them, just info). Like so -> http://www.rockauto.....php?pk=1798470

Here is the main website for kit TKT010 -> http://www.rockauto....h%2Bfor%2BAISIN

don't forget two new o-rings for the water supply tubes. They don't come with Water Pump kit. It seems they should.

I'll check with the supplier regarding the the 2 "0" rings. Thanks

I replaced the coolant overflow bottle, fan clutch, t-stat, coolant and a new belt. After 15-20 mins of running coolant was running out of the front of the engine. Mechanic says the water pump is bad.

I purchased a new pump and after he tore everything down he now says the timing belt is contaminated from oil seeping from the front of the valve covers. I knew it was leaking and was trying not to do the job until more funds were available. I'm OK with changing these items out since I want to keep the car running forever (if possible). He recommended changing the plugs, wires, timing belt & components (?), and a throttle body service (along with the water pump). Have I covered everything that should be done with this service? I don't want to miss anything. Thank you in advance. Also is it necessary to use genuine Lexus parts for this repair? I'll use a name brand timing belt if you feel its OK. Please advise.

Frankly, the timing belt is very important. you should purchase the good quality timing belt.

I checked with the Napa dealer and the water pump and component kit is $240 so I guess I'll order the kit from Rock Auto at only $182 and I know it will be good for another 100K miles. The seals and water supply "O" rings will be ordered also. Thanks again for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my order ready for the timing belt and component kit from Rock Auto. I'm also ordering a set of valve cover gaskets & plug wires. Any recommendations on using a specific spark plug? Looking for a long life plug, but can anyone recommend a type they've used? Prices are pretty steep at $6 per plug, but if I don't have to change them again for awhile, it will be worth it. What is the recommended plug for this car and often should they be changed? Any thoughts on the valve cover gaskets? Rock Auto has several types available.

Double Platinum -- Gap 0.044; Long # PK20R11; DENSO is OE manufacturer / O.E. Recommended Double Platinum Plug - Extra Long Life Double Platinum Plug.

I have a new set I dont need I will sell you for $40 dollars, mailed to you free.

NOTE my email is: billydpowell@hotmail.com

VIA paypal, or your check

post-5365-0-77894200-1337785842_thumb.jp