Should I Buy It? 2004 Ls430

Willy B.

I own a 1998 LS400 and love it. Almost no problems, bought with 90,000 miles 6 years ago and it now has 150K. Runs great. But I always liked 04-06 LS430's and I happened to come across an 04 that is really cheap, almost as cheap as I am. I wouldn't even consider it but he was asking $12,999 and it has 62,000 miles and with every option that I know of. Sounds great right?

Well the bad part is, is that it was an insurance payout, which means it was damaged and then repaired and the title reflects that by saying something like "rebuilt" on the title. Now I took the car out and it goes like a raped ape compared to my LS400 and rides just as smooth if not smoother then my LS. Not owned by a car person, a few scratches in the paint that probably could be buffed out, I'd say it's a 15 footer. The big problem I have is the Nav. Screen says "External System not Connected". Owner says it's been saying that for awhile and hasn't gotten around to taking it in (maybe fibbing).

I offered him $11,000 and we agreed on $11,500 and I told him I'd be back the next day. But then I looked on the internet and found that it could cost $4-5K to fix that, so I called him back and told him about that and that I would have to reconsider my offer and that I would get back to him.

So I'm really not concerend about the "rebuilt" title because I would probably own it for a few years and by time I get rid of the car it would be almost worth nothing anyway. But I'm really concerned about the Nav., But the 62,000 mile car is inticing, along with the new styling and power. Any thoughts?

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's most likely a duck.

Would have to agree with Jim. Plenty of pristine examples out there. The price will soon be forgotten while the issues will nag you. The LS430 is a very nice machine, but just say 'no' on this one.

The rebuilt status will follow that car like a bad smell. When you go to sell it, there it is. The price reflects that, and so that's it's value - degraded. And it needs repairs if you want the nav system up and running.

I've never gone wrong buying low mileage cars that were not abused. And I've purchased the other kind, with declarations ( major repair in BC) and high mileage.....and paid for it in the long run.

My thoughts? Find another LS430.

Well I sure was sitting on the fence post on this one. But I'm going with the advice from you guys. My other thought was going to an LS430 that was a couple of years older and maybe close to the same low miles. My only concern is most consumer reports on 01-03 models say the motors are not as reliable as older ones or newer ones. Not sure what that means. Also I'm really going to try to stay away from Navagation systems if I can at all help it. It seems that all Toyota products seem to be an issue along with a lot of other manufacturers. At least that's what I'm finding with my internet searches. Or should I say 'IF' they go bad it sure is expensive to fix them.

Agreed. Avoid a rebuilt title; unless the car is a total steal, which this one isn't.

The engine is the same across all years of the LS430. The transmission went from a 5 speed to a 6 speed (and was then recalled) in 2004, so any 2004 you look at should have that recall done if it applies.

At this point mileage is going to be more an indicator than age; a well taken care of '01 with 65k miles will probably be in better shape (all other things being equal) than an '05 with 120k miles. It's always smart to have a knowledgeable mechanic take a look at any car you want to buy. Once it's on the lift, it can tell you no lies.

The prices on all LS430s seem to have taken a hit in the last year, and probably will again when the next gen LS comes out later this year.

I've seen several very nice '05 and '06 cars for around 23k, and some '01-02 cars for around 15k. Very tempting at those prices...

Well I sure was sitting on the fence post on this one. But I'm going with the advice from you guys. My other thought was going to an LS430 that was a couple of years older and maybe close to the same low miles. My only concern is most consumer reports on 01-03 models say the motors are not as reliable as older ones or newer ones. Not sure what that means. Also I'm really going to try to stay away from Navagation systems if I can at all help it. It seems that all Toyota products seem to be an issue along with a lot of other manufacturers. At least that's what I'm finding with my internet searches. Or should I say 'IF' they go bad it sure is expensive to fix them.

Thats absolutely not the case. There was some guy who had bought the thing off lease and the oil hadn't been changed in the first 40k miles and was complaining of sludge, but all the time I've spent on here and ClubLexus, there is no oil sludge problem with the LS430.

In Virginia, I believe they call it a Salvage Title meaning the car was declared a total loss due to accident, flooding, whatever when the damage exceeded the value. You could probably run a carfax on the VIN and maybe find out what the issue. If it is a flood car, run fast. With the price of Lexus parts and labor, probably wouldn't take too much damage to exceed the value of a car 5 or more years old. Again, the biggest downside is when you go to sell it. If its not a flood car, I'd say, hey to the guy (because he probably thought the same things you are now when he bought it) the title greatly diminishes the value and say 10 bucks even. Drive it for another 3 or 4 years and by then people buying a car that old aren't nearly as concerned with title things from the past, they look at cost. I'd say at that point you could get an easy 5 or 6 for it, more if you add wax.

Well my curisoty got to me about that 2004 and I ran a Carfax. The owner claimed it was just a fender repair. Well the Carfax says otherwise. The original owner hit a median real hard when the car was two years old. So for an insurance company to total out a two year car it must have taken out a lot of mechanicals, and did everything get fixed? What's interesting it looks like it was totaled out again a few years later with another accident, which of course wouldn't take as much since it's worth so much less due to the first accident.

Although mechanically it seems fine there's things like the Nav system and I could hear no rear speakers and the climate control did not seem really up to snuff. And then you have the title issue. And the reason for the 62,000 miles is that it looks like the car sat for a few years before getting fixed.

Anyway I don't have to buy a newer one but I'm supposed to go take a look at a 2003 with 70,000 miles on it in the next few days. It looks like it has the CL package, which means Nav system so I'm crossing my fingers. It's priced less then $15k, so we'll see. I had good luck with my LS400 which had about the same miles, price and age.

I don't know how to post a link. But the car used to be on ebay in Minneapolis and the item number is 251038697543. I found it on Craiglist in Milwaukee for $12,999. I offered him $11,000 and we agreed on $11,500. I was supposed to pick it up on Good Friday. Just in case anybody needs a headache.