Tire Size For 18"

What size is the wheel? 18x? This last number should at least be 8. 8.5 is optimal. 9 is OK too but this will depend on offset and now you are in the potential rubbing area.

What is the offset? This will be more of the culprit in terms of rubbing.

If everything else is OK, 245/40 should be perfect. I'm also assuming you are running the same size all around and are not running a staggered setup.

Thanks for the help...The wheels are 18 x 8, and I am running the same size all the way around. They are Vision Type 539--if that helps at all. I have talked to 4 different tire shops, and they all say it should not be a problem with rubbing. My problem is that the place I got the wheels says that the 245's will rub on the back tires. The 245's look much better than the 235's, as they take more of the space out of the wheel well, which is why I want to go with the 245's, I have a feeling my tire guy is being overy cautious.....any other suggestions?

Again, it comes down to offset. Although it will not related to offset, do you have a pic of the rim? I run a staggered setup with 18x9.5 in the rear with 265/35 and will be going to 275/35 soon. No rubbing so I can't imaging 245s having any problems unless the offset is so agressive that the edge is pushed out near the fender. If anything, the wheel with 245s will be recessed inside the wheel well.

I have just bought a set of rims and the width is 7.5 in is this going to be ok or is there going to be problems?

Since this thread is talking about a GS, I assume you also have a GS. I think 7.5 is too narrow for the GS. It will work. If it has pretty typical offsets, then the wheel will be too recessed in the wheel well.

For what its worth, the stock alloy wheel on my GS300 is 7.5" wide. Using 8 or 8.5 is better for a 17 or 18" wheel. The 18x8.5 running 245/40-18 front and 18x9,9.5, or 10" rear (depending on offset) can run 275/35-18 and it should be perfect with minimal MPH variance (approx 1-2mph).