Passenger Door Glass Cracked For No Apparent Reason 2011

I parked my RX350 2011 this afternoon at the office after lunch. An hour later I went out to leave and noticed the passenger window had a crack running about halfway across the window. It started from down in the door just even with the door lock. I got out and examined it and there is no obvious sign of anything hitting the window. No chip or impact sign.

I drove about 5 miles to pick my daughter up and called Lexus while I was parked waiting to pick her up. As I was tallking to the service rep to make an appointment to get in tomorrow I watched the crack slowly grow until it was all the way horiztonatl across the window. Pretty weird since I wasn't moving at all.

It cannot be felt by touching either side of the window and is completely within the laminated glass.

Has anyone had any problems with the windows like this? I'm thinking the window was under some kind of stress within the door and finally gave way. Seems like a problem when it was put together. I just turned 20,000 miles and bought the vehicle last July.

I'm not looking forward to paying to replace it but I'm guessing Lexus is not going to own up to any kind of problem.

Glass shouldn't just break. I've been driving for over 40 years and have never had anything like this occur.

WEll overnight it developed an offshoot crack when popped a small pinhead size piece of glass out of the outside part of the window. They examined that and said something had hit the glass causing it to crack. I have no way to prove otherwise so I'm now out $800 to replace it.

WEll overnight it developed an offshoot crack when popped a small pinhead size piece of glass out of the outside part of the window. They examined that and said something had hit the glass causing it to crack. I have no way to prove otherwise so I'm now out $800 to replace it.

Demand to talk to the General Manager. There is no reason why this situation should not be covered. You say you can't prove their not right, how can they prove THEY are right.

If this were the front windshield, this situation would be more plausable.

If nothing else, your auto insurance should cover the repair.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Most likely something had chipped glass or scratched it slightly at some point. If there was a defect in laminated door glass you would have seen crack first time you rolled it up or down as stress from movement would cause it to run.

The glass is curved and under slight tension when in up position so crack will continue to move.

I've replaced many(hundreds)of laminated doors from various car manufacturers over last few yrs since becoming more popular option.

Only two were actually defects at mounting tab and that resulted in several cracks starting from stressed area.

Toyota/Lexus glass is a premium price and no suitable aftermarket replacement is available. Cost of glass + $70-100 for labor is good deal.