Best Tires For 2002 Es300 ?

blue

Hi, I'm new to this forum and look forward to delving into the vast knowledge resource here :)

I've got a 2002 ES300 that currently has the Michelin Engergy MXV4 Plus tires and need to replace them. If I replace with same tire, it looks to cost around $670 (Detroit MI prices).

MY QUESTION --

What is the best tire to put on the ES300? I do about 25K miles a year with my car, much highway, but a lot on nasty Detroit roads AND snow driving. One of the tire outlets told me a good buy is the Michelin Hydro Edget. He said it is cheaper, wears better, is safer in the rain, better ride, just not as good at corning. True or sales pitch?

I will spend whatever I need to. I want the best tire for this car. ANY INPUT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED !!

The Michelin HydroEdge (~$130 ea.) as well as the Goodyear Aguatreds (~$90 ea.) are awesome tires. Quiet, good in snow, great on dry and unbeatable in rain. However, currently these two tires are only come in a "T" rating and that is one step too low for the ES in my opinion. Some people will say it is fine to do that but the car is rated for a V. The lowest I personally would go on this car is an H rating.

I just had the same dilema you are going through on my 02. The stock are Michies expensive to replace even through TireRack.com. In addtion, the Michies, I hear, are not that reassuring in the rain. I went with Dunlop Sport A2's (~$120). Less expensive and give a great ride in rain, dry and light snow. On the down side, they are slightly louder than I would have really liked.

In hind sight, I probably would have considered strongly the new Goodyear Eagle- HR (~$100 ea.). Supposed to be quiet and smooth, but it is so new to the market, there are not many reports. I have never had any problems with any Goodyear tire I have owned. My favorite was the original Aguatred (it did come in an H rating).

I had my name on a set of ContiExtremeContacts, but they were taking forever to come in. The wharehouse could not get a definate from the distributor as to when they would be in, so I gave up on them.

I don't trust anything from Firestone/Bridgestone. That is from experience.

I have been told that Pirelli makes some qualilty High Performance All Seasons, but I have never ridden on any.

Good luck.

steviej

Tell you what, If you don't find anything, I will sell you my Dunlops cheap so I can go get the HR's........ok? :whistles:

Tirerack is a very good source to get good info. However, tirerack is missing one tire brand (for whatever reason) & that is Toyo! I just put Toyo Proxes TPT all seasons on my ES & they are fantastic in rain, snow, & slush. They are very reasonable price wise & are "V" (very important) rated with a 400 treadwear, Traction "A" & Temperature "A". Go to your local Toyo tire dealer and get the scoop from him. A lot of people overlook Toyo (Japanese tire) and it's a shame as they are a premium brand tire, they just don't adverstise as much as say Michelin......which the hydroedge (is a fantastic tire), but it's not "V" rated like the Toyo is & the TPT's will give you a lot better traction than your current MXV4 plus, not to mention the should be around only $80 - 90 a piece. Check out www.toyo.com Good Luck!

:cheers:

Thanks for your replies... you've all given me more to research now. QUESTION -- Would you recommend those same tires regardless of price?

While I don't want to spend more money than I have to, I am more than willing to spend whatever I need in order to get the best performance tire (rain, snow, handling, comfort driving). The reason? The difference between $400 and $650 for a set of tires is a lot. But it is nothing if I can go from a good tire to a great tire. That money spread out over years versus potential improvement in rain / snow handling is a no brainer to me... IF THE TIRE IS INDEED BETTER.

The catch is figuring out which tire gives you the best performance.

i'll move this to the tire section

but the toyos are the best hands down over the others if you are going to get a set of summer and switch to winters later. I do and i love the added traction all year round .All i have to do is get tehm switch within an hour and $40

What is the exact size you need? 205 60 16?

The Toyo Proxes TPT's are a performance all season tire. Naturally not as good as a winter tire (no all season is no matter what). You won't find a better "V" rated tire with that tread wear, tracton & temperature rating. The value for the money is fantastic. The tire is top shelf for handling & traction is snow & especially rain and are good for 65,000 miles (and are a "directional" tire). The Michelin Hydroedge is my second choice but it's not a "V" rated tire.......I stick with what Lexus has put on the car originally as there is a reason why they put the "V" rated on & nothing else.

I'm extremely fussy (like yourself) when it comes to what tire I put on my car & do a ton of research first before purchasing. The Toyo is the best! Go to your local Toyo dealer & have a look at the tire live & in living color to see the tread pattern for yourself to see what I mean. I think they even have a 30 day trial & if your not happy, you can bring them back for a full refund! What do you have to lose? B) You won't be disappointed.

I've recommended 10 sets of these plus me & have yet to hear one complaint as well.

Checked on prices for my LS(after seeing the thread) .....

Toyo's are 225/60-16 are about $115 mount & balance. They do look great and I appreciate the reviews..

The Conti Premiers are the same.....

The MICHELIN Pilot XGT V4 's are $165 each, H4's are about $150 - OUCH!

Right now the two tires that seem to be standing the most out are..

- Toyo Proxes TPT

- Continental ContiPremiumContact

- Also, had a vote for Goodyear Eagle- HR... any other input on this tire?

Has anyone every experienced the Toyo and Continental to compare?

I had Goodyears years ago & they were very disappointing especially in light rain. I recommend the Toyo's personally as I have a set on my ES & quite a few people at work have them because of my suggestions.....they are still my friends & I would buy them again also....very happy with em. Haven't tried the conti's so I can't give an honest opinion.

The aqua tread is a very nice tire as is the michelin X one both are a bit pricey but sam's club should have the hydro edge cheaper. A 16 inch tire there goes for 130 canadian so about 100 usd over there.try em and see.here they also only charge 10 a tire to install balance and free rotation as well as road hazard warranty.

Well, after reading this thread, I feel much better about my tires. I have the Toyo Proxes TPTs, but they came new with car. I guess the guy I bought them from (a salesman at a Lexus dealership) knew what he was doing. What is the recommended rotation for them? I've got maybe 8k miles on them right now. Thanks.

The Toyo TPT's are a "directional" tire which means when you rotate them do not "cris cross" them......put front to back & back to front on the same side of the car (the tire should have an arrow on the sidewall to tell the mechanic anyways).

and I usually rotate them every second oil change & check air pressure every two or three weeks.

How do you find the overall performance of your Toyo's Wubbman?

I like them. Keep in mind that I don't have much to compare them to. They seem to be pretty quiet and hold the road well. I would recommend them to anyone. Do you like yours? I think I'll wait till 10k miles to have them 'switched.' :)

Strange day... I was talking to a local tire dealer inquiring about prices for the Toyo Proxes TPT and he was trying to stear me into a Continental or Michelin MXV4, stating that both tires were better longer wear tires than the Toyo.

I truly get the feeling that these guys look at what size tire you are looking for and THEN try to put you into whatever they have in stock.

So many opinions, so many tires.

My Toyo's have been fantastic & I'm very happy with them. The Michelin MXV4 are what came standard on my 01 ES originally, have a look at their snow rating on tirerack & I'll let that speak for itself :lol: The Michelim also have the same treadwear as the Toyo which is 400. Put both tires side by side and compare the tread patterns.....you will notice that the Toyo is far more aggressive over the Michelin & you notice the difference when driving as well. Wubb is correct, the TPT's are a 65,000 mile warranty. Not 100% sure about the conti's.

The Toyo Proxes TPT is a 65k mile tire.  What are the Michelins & Continentals?

Hey guys....

Been following this thread with much interest; I'll need (or want) new tires next fall for sure (I'm down to 4/32's) on my Yoko S420's.

I'll try to find out more about these Toyo Proxes TFT....how do you think they'll hold up on a 99 LS? (225/60-16's)

The ContiPremierContacts have an 80K warranty.....

Thanks for all this info!