Please Talk Me Into Keeping The Best Car On The Planet!

Golfing

It's been awhile since I have posted here, but everyone was always so helpful so here goes...

We have 3 cars

05 accord v6 (wife's car)

95 ls400

06 Outback xt (turbo)

We just had a baby and I'm starting to look toward the future. Let me first start by saying the ls400 is by far the best car I have ever owned. I've had mine for almost 7 years. I bought it from an old lady who put less than 5k miles on it since she bought brand new. The car now has 107k miles on it.

My neighbor has a 2001 Tacoma double cab v6 which also has super low miles with 67k, very rare. The versatility and reliability of this truck is amazing, we all know that. However, say goodbye to the style and pride of owning an ls400. They both are pretty similiar in gas mileage and reliability.

My issue is its very rare to find an amazing deal that lands in your lap like this. The Subaru we have is my Inlaws and it pretty much lives at our house free to use, however, it's not my car. I don't know if I'm just getting that new car itch or if I'm trying to be a good family man. The Lexus is great but really doesn't suit a family, especially in the nw weather. I have babied my ls and it shows, retail perfect condition doesn't even seem fair because we all know how long these cars can run.

Would love to hear your .02

I have to agree. Of course I kind of "collect" cars and sometimes my wife isn't happy. Out of my 4 current, the LS400 would be the last to go. The goodbye order would be Miata, 66, truck, LS400. Best car I've ever owned, had it ten years and it still is just great. I'll go with Billy, forget the truck.

Yeah I don't see how a double cab Tacoma Truck is more family friendly than the LS. Certainly far less comfortable to drive. The LS is one of the safest cars for rear facing child seats because of the amount of rear legroom. The Tacoma can't even cary your luggage on a trip without a bed cap.

True, the LS is terrible in the snow (unless you put winter tires on it)...but you have the Subaru...

Look at a RX300, 350.. Perfect for a new family.

Sure, but first be sure you have HEAVILY insured yourself and your wife, your kids will love you for it once you're gone.

Insofar as modern day "awd" systems are concerned, most especially vehicles with sideways mounted engines that are ALWAYS predominantly FWD, there be BEARS, sometimes GRIZZLY bears, in them thar woods.

The best of the BEST in that class, base FWD vehicles, would be the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system. So I would advise that before jumping from the pot directy into the fire you should closely read, understand/comprehend, the theory of operation of the SH-AWD system.

A good/close read of the Subaru "symmetrical" AWD system would also be a good read.

There have been a few times here on the Seattle eastside this winter wherein I did not feel safe transporting my wife to her work absent fitting tire chains.

???? so, the question becomes, tirechains ONLY on the front of our ONE-WHEEL DRIVE 2001 RX300 "AWD", or on the rear of our '92 LS400. I'm betting you can figure out which I made, ceratinly so post reading the material I have pointed out.

You have to get all the way to the 2010, or after, RX350 "awd" before you find a reasonably functional "AWD" system, and even that one does not stand comparison with the SH-AWD system. The newer Porsche Cayenne and it's VW "brother" would be my choice were I in the SUV market currently.

The BAD news. For almost 20 years now manufacturers of FWD vehicles, PATENTLY UNSAFE FWD vehicles, have been trying to come up with a method to make them more safe. The most common approach to date has been to come up with some sort, design, to add torque apportioning to the rear driveline.

Here we are 20 years "downstream" and all we have for all that effort is a few reasonably safe front biased "AWD" systems. But with every one of those(***) subject, sometimes HIGHLY subject, to premature driveline component failures due to the extra stress/HEAT level arising from the PRE_EMPTIVE locking, or partial locking, of the rear drive capability. Pre-emptive engagement of the rear drive capability even on the most highly tractive roadbed surface present....nothing short of IDIOCY.

*** Inclusive of the SH-AWD system, the 2012 MDX is currently under recall, REFLASH required, due to this very problem.

ES 350, but I'm partial. Agree with the others. Unless you have something to tow, forgo the truck. If I didn't have a boat I'd get rid of mine.

The ES, and Camry, series is strickly, ONLY FWD, patently UNSAFE FWD. These should NEVER be driven on wintertime roadbed conditions, or when the potential for those conditions are probable.

Last winter I drove my son's 97 Honda Accord rather than risk the GS with worn summer tires. That Honda was remarkable in the snow, fully capable and safe. Rip roaring FWD, with Goodrich Radial TA all seasons.

As much as I'm a highly qualified, hugely experienced, licensed professional driver for forty years, ( and modest) and would like to take credit for the Honda's abilities in the snow, I can't. It's a great little car in slippery conditions.

Read, and fully comprehend, the theory of operation of any of the newer front biased "awd" systems that use the electromagnetically actuated coupling wet clutch mounted in the front of the rear differential, and then read up on the operation of the same clutch system in a "base" RWD vehicle such as the Porsche Cayenne.

With knowledge comes understanding.

I have now driven a FWD 2001 RX300 (pretend "AWD") since new, always with summer only tires but with tirechains ALWAYS on board and I do not hesitate employing their use.

So, yes, if you are fully aware of the short-comings of such then a FWD vehicle might be driven safety on a snow packed or icy roadbed. But what about newly "minted" drivers...?

I'm just going to ask you flat out...did you used to post here as "wwest", a member we banned some years ago?

You sound *exactly* like him.

EDIT-Nevermind...answered my own question.

Edited by SW03ES

Ah, interesting feedback however, but the europeans used front wheel drive in the alps for over 50 years and found them very stable in ice and snow, yes learning how to drive them takes no time at all as they respond so much better than the rear drive vehicles. Nice thing is you can power up to change direction....when in a slide condition. We learned quickly that the front wheel drive performed remarkleably when doing hill climbs on dirt roads.

Wow this thread sure did take off...

To answer someone question about being banned, I used to be a member here about 6 years ago but stopped getting on the board so finally when I did get back, I didn't have an account anymore or something of the sort. My user name used to be ls4hundy or something dumb like that.

As for all the awd talk, we have outback xt which is fast as hell and excellent in the rain but honestly the car doesn't feel that safe in the snow/ice. The wrx which pretty much has the same engine is a little more compact and is much better. My wife's accord v6 is amazing in the snow.

Again, thank you guys for helping mr. I just bought a brand new set if tires for the ls. Btw, I bought the rites from discount direct and got an amazing price plus crazy warranty. Never bought tires online but will from now on.

I wanted to post a pic of my car but I couldn't figure it out? I'm also using my iPhone so maybe it isn't on the mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1980 Honda Accord (FWD) up in Canada back then. I had a pair of radial snow tires mouted on the front wheels every fall and switched back each spring. That car was fabulous in the snow. All the weight is on the drive axle instead of the lighter rear end. The car pulls you through the snow rather than tries to push you. I survived a substantial blizzard one winter where I could could power through the snow drifts yet all the rear wheel cars were stuck in their tracks. I don't know where this anti front wheel drive sentiment comes from but I have lived it in severe weather and I am positive it is an unfair judgement.

I'll take FWD and snow tires anytime in snow and ice. Now with ABS and Stab control it is even better.