94 Es300 Check Engine Light

caji

Check engine light indicate malfunction of oxygen sensor 1 bank 1. I replaced the sensor but the check engine light is still on. I have Autozone check it again and it is still the oxygen sensor 1, bank 1. Anybody knows what is going on? I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the CEL but the light comes on after a day or two. Any thoughts on this one.

you prob replaced the wrog sensor bank one sensor one is on the front of then engine its the one next to your oil filter if that isnt the case try swapping the sensor from bank one sensor one with the bank 2 sensor 1 and see if you have the same issue.

also what is your code sometimes the generic obd readers will give you the wrong code description

you can also check your sensor with a ohm meater if you are fimilar with them

terminals +b and ht, resistance = 11-16 ohms

i forgot to mention that autozone parts are junk and ive got bad parts from them on more than one occasion

Thanks for replying. "All Data" drawings shows that bank 2 sensor 1 is in the front of the engine, while bank 1 sensor 1 is close to the firewall. Looking at AutoZone drawing shows bank 1 sensor 1 is in the front of the engine. Anybody knows which is correct? By the way, I did not buy the sensor from AutoZone. Unfortunately I threw away the old sensor.

Bank one is near the firewall. Sensor 1 is on the exhaust manifold, somewhat difficult to get to but not too hard once you visualize it.

Several possibilities here.

-you got a bad replacement sensor

-the wiring from the connection back to the car's computer is bad

-you may have an exhaust leak near the sensor, possibly caused by a cracked manifold, leaking donut gasket at the junction of the manifold and y-pipe (anything that leads to a flat line reading from the o2 sensor will cause the code, and too much o2 getting to the sensor will do that)

If that all checks out, try using obd II software if you have a computer connection to the obdII connector behind the fuse box panel by the driver's left knee, to see how the output from the o2 sensor looks. If you don't have the computer set up, try a volt meter on the wires coming from the o2 sensor (not exactly which ones, as one pair is for the heating element in the sensor, the other two are for the o2 measures). The voltage in either measuring situation should bouce up and down rather quickly, 7-10 x per minute if my memory serves me right. If its too sluggish the computer will throw a code.

LL