Strut Replacement?

On my ES 300 98 (196K) I’ve been hearing a clunking sound on the front drivers side.

Was reviewing this site and this seems to be due to the strut mounts. Was thinking that I needed to replace the struts. Does replacing the struts encompass replacing the mounts as well or are they separate jobs?

Also, given the age and mileage on the car, I don’t want to spend a great deal as I’ll likely replace the car at 250K. I’m not a DYIer, at least not on cars so will likely go to a Sears or pep boys or STS auto for the repair.

What brand should I be looking at for struts? How much does a job like this run? And if I did nothing, what would be the impact…especially from a safety standpoint.

Thanks much for any thoughts on this!!

CP

your struts arnt bad you need new sway bar end links. replace them on both sides at the same time as they work together. you can get them from auto zone for like 20 bux but i got a better updated part online that has ticker bushings and has a greese inlet for anual greesing.

its a easy job, jack the car up on both sides remove both tires grab the back side of the end link bushing with neddle nose vise grips and unscrew the bolt with a 14mm, hammer out the old and install the new!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to concur. The "clunk" tends to be sway bar related and the "clank" is the strut mount. Usually you hear the clunk when turning as the car is leaning and putting stress on the sway bar.