Gs Door Actuators Silent Recall

I was just wondering how many gs owners knew about the door actuator recall. My drivers side door when you get out & closed, then hit the the key fob button. It would lock the door but wouldnt activate the alarm. The alarm would activate after opening another door. By coincidence I found the recall info in the manual. Took it to the dealer & showed them the notice & they repaired it.

• 4 weeks later...

Was there an actuator recall? I just had one replaced (driver side rear) and now the other side needs it replaced. Lexus wanted over $700 to get one replaced, but thank goodness, I have a great mechanic and after I bought the part from Lexus (about $170 I think!), he put it in for $75.

But if there was a recall, I'd like to know about that.

Philip in AZ

I had a recall letter in my car glove box when i purchased it. My car is a 98 GS400. I was installing chrome door handles & got stuck on the back doors. I took it to the dealer, showed them the letter & they replaced the actuators & finished installing my handles for free. If anybody wants a copy or the notice, just send me your email address & i'll send you a copy of the letter.

• Like 1

I had a recall letter in my car glove box when i purchased it. My car is a 98 GS400. I was installing chrome door handles & got stuck on the back doors. I took it to the dealer, showed them the letter & they replaced the actuators & finished installing my handles for free. If anybody wants a copy or the notice, just send me your email address & i'll send you a copy of the letter.

Please send me a copy to knn444@yahoo.com, I'd really appreciate it.

silverbullitt, if you have the recall document, please scan and post it in this thread. Disclosure of an email address in a public forum like this can have all sorts of repercussions.

I was unable to find this recall in a search of a Lexus TSIB database. Normally repairs like this must be performed while the car or component is within warranty.

OK, now I understand. The title of your thread threw me. This was not a "silent recall" or really a "recall" at all. All 98 GS owners were sent letters in Februrary 1999 notifying them that the door courtesy lamp switches would be replaced at no cost if they brought their cars to a Lexus dealer. According to the 50 page document about "Special Service Campaign XL-1" - to big to post here - the intent was to have the work completed on all affected GS cars by June 1999.

It was up to the owner to decide whether or not to have the work done. Normally, repairs under this type of non-safety service campaign are performed at no cost only while a Lexus vehicle is within its basic warranty (4 years or 50,000 miles) unless the affected component is covered by the drivetrain warranty (6 years, 70,000 miles). Although Lexus sometimes approves making repairs like this after a warranty has expired - usually within a few months after expiration - it would be incredible for this work to be done at no cost ten years after a basic warranty covering a component had expired.

I've sometimes passed up having service campaign work done on a Lexus while it was under warranty since sometimes the fix is either inconvenient or could cause potential problems - e.g. replacing the instrument cluster to attempt to resolve the occasional "miles since refuel" issue on my 2000 LS400.

silverbullit, did you have this work done recently? I sure would like to know when and which dealer did the work. There are a couple of other service campaigns I passed on and I might have the work done now if it was at no cost.

What do you think the odds of having a Lexus dealer honor a request to perform this service now on my '98 which has never had the rear actuators replaced? This car has always been in the family and the actuators on both rear doors still work -- it is just the courtesy lights that do not work.

Normally I would't care too much about this -- but the switch that triggers the rear courtesy lights also controls the security system if the rear doors are opened while the security system is armed. No working rear door switches means no security for the rear doors.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I would like a copy of the letter I have a 98 gs 400 and driver door does not lock, my email is firecapt35@att.net thank you very much.

• 3 months later...

Can you send me a copy of this recall letter to kkpeterlee@aol.com?

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would like a copy of the letter I have a 98 gs 400 and driver door does not lock, my email is firecapt35@att.net thank you very much.

I presented the recall letter to the dealer and they looked it up, and it did not apply to my vin#, eventhough, I have a GS400 98. Just FIY. Good luck to all GS's owners.

• 3 months later...

Please send to me as well. lewisabate65@gmail.com

Good grief. He posted it on page 1 of this thread, click, save target as, print, head to lexus. doubtful they will do it now though. 14yrs ago...I did my own in 3hrs, all 4. Cost me $12 for the motors.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...