Squeaking When I Turn Steering Wheeel

64bb

1999 rx 300. runs good, but when i turn the steering wheel in either direction, there is a squeaking sound from the wheel area [not engine compartment] that lasts as long as the wheel is being turned, but goes away when the wheel is centered. can anyone suggest what this is, and what, if anything, to do about it?

Just to clarify, is the "wheel area" referring to the steering wheel, or the actual front drive wheels? My '99 RX300 had a squeak at the base of the steering column inside the car whenever the wheel was being turned, either direction, even when the engine was stopped. At any point where I stopped the turning process, even if the wheel was turned well off center, the noise stopped.

In my case, I located the actual squeak by pulling away a boot (or something similar) that's over the hole where the steering column extends into the engine area. Then, with the key on (to free up the steering wheel), I just moved the steering wheel back and forth a little as I looked into the newly-opened hole. The location of the squeak was quickly obvious.

It's been a while, but to fix it, I think I loosed and adjusted "something", and maybe added a little grease. No problem since.

Sorry I can't be more specific - it's been well over a year. I hope that helps.

thanks to both of you. to my ear,the noise seems to come from the center of the steering wheel area. i will have my wife listen in the engine compartment to see if it is a belt [it doesn't sound like that kind of noise, and there is no difficulty in turning the wheel, which is what i noticed in the past with other cars that had a bad belt. they also seemed to shudder a little when i turned the wheel]. if it is not that belt, i will have my local mechanic try to locate the boot and deal with that and see what happens.

well, it is not the belt. regarding the steering column boot referred to, i looked in the engine compartment, but it was way too crowded in there for me to see anything. can the boot be accessed from the engine ompartment, or is it accessed from below with the suv on a rack, or is there some other way????

• 2 weeks later...

I talked with 64bb seperately about this issue, and it turned out to be the same squeak I had encountered some months ago -- two parts rubbing together at the base of the steering shaft INSIDE the car, under the dash.

Just look under the dash for the area where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. There is a large diameter "ring" of rubber, maybe 2 1/2" in diameter, and at least a couple inches long, that encircles the steering shaft and is held in place by a sort of large "ring clamp". Twist the steering wheel back and forth somewhat to try to verify the squeak is in that area, and if so, undo the clamp. I believe you can then maneuver the rubber ring out of the way (up or down -- can't recall which).

Once the rubber is out of the way so you can see that area more clearly, just move the steering wheel back and forth again, and watch and listen in that newly exposed area. In my case, the location and cause of the squeak was very obvious.

I honestly can’t recall exactly how I fixed it, but I “think” that I just readjusted something on one side or the other of the squeaky area so the two parts that caused he squeak were no longer touching. I may have added some grease in that are – can’t recall. Then I reattached the rubber ring and clamp, and have had no trouble in the year since then.

64bb had their shop fix it based on my explanation, but I think it can be done by most folks if you can handle the contorsion if getting under the dash. I suspect this type of squeak is fairly rare, but if YOU'RE the one with it, it can drive you crazy. So I'm posting here for "the future"

Both my '99 RX and my wife's '02 Highlander had this same issue. I fixed it by spraying Liquid Wrench inside the rubber "boot" while my wife turned the wheel back and forth about 5-10 degrees in each direction. Easy fix with a helper.

• 6 months later...

Both my '99 RX and my wife's '02 Highlander had this same issue. I fixed it by spraying Liquid Wrench inside the rubber "boot" while my wife turned the wheel back and forth about 5-10 degrees in each direction. Easy fix with a helper.

Liquid wrench?! Why not Silicon spray......?

Silicone spray was the first lube medium I tried. It worked for about a month or so, then the squeak returned. The white lithium grease in Liquid Wrench is a much longer-lasting lube...it lasts for the better part of a year, then I just repeat the process whenever necessary.

• 1 month later...

The noise you are hearing is from the clock spring under the steering wheel. Over time dirt and debris gets stuck in the grease and is starts to squeak.

Clock spring? Is that right next to the muffler bearing?