Trac And Vsc Codes

I'm getting trouble codes saying I have an intermittent miss in all 6 cylinders (random multiple misfire). I'm not sure what is upstream of the coil packs. Is it something on the engine? The computer?

A few weeks ago, the code reader just mentioned the #2 cylinder. Not sure how to check the coil pack, I got the brilliant idea to switch #2 and 4 coils, expecting to see the change on the reader. Instead, I got this reading I didn't understand. It also mentioned a final code - ignition coil B, primary and secondary circuit malfunction.

Sounds like I'll have to take this into the shop. Has anyone had experience with this issue --- and solved it?

Thanks for any info.

• 1 month later...

220 reads, 0 replies? Maybe the question is too specific, or people love to read these questions. If anyone else has these lights, and a miss, here's what I found...

The good news - I fixed the problem. I wasted $60 on a shop diagnosis, but it was more specific than the parts store readouts. They must have a machine that reads the coils, individually. They did suggest I call the dealer. The car is out of warranty, but they said the drive-train warranty was still good. Lexus said the coils weren't 'drive train'.

So I plunked down $90 on a coil. It takes a minute or to to do this - IF it's on the front bank (even numbers). If it's on the back cylinders, the shop would have done the work. They said the intake has to come off to get to them! I've got a few years to go before I find out.

The bad news - there was still a misfire. But because of a loose bolt on the coil, I was suspicious that the shop swapped the coils around, too. I went back, and they confirmed this, and showed me the one that was bad - the one with the loose bolt. Once I got rid of the bad one, all was well.

The shop said they rarely see problems with them, under 100k. Mine's at 62k.

So ends my tale of the check engine/trac/vsg lights.