Well, I've been looking for a seven seater to cart kids and their friends around (mostly snowboarding in winter). I found a 2007 Subaru Tribeca, Limited with DVD/NAV - similar to my 400h but with the third row. It was going to be almost a straight swap, my 2006 RX with 180 000km being worth the same as the 2007 Subaru with 115 000km. I drove it, it was decent enough, and I'm actually a Subaru fan, having had no problems and many happy motoring miles on my Outback with the H6 (previous vehicle to the RX)

However, I ended up keeping the 400h. Why? Several reasons - 1. The third row in the Tribeca was really really small 2. No bluetooth (really, Subaru??) 3. Fuel economy.

I've been royally spoiled by the fuel economy of the 400h. I get 8.1 l/100km in the summer and 9.1 to 9.5 in the winter. There's no way the Subaru can touch this. I've decided now to look for a Highlander Hybrid with the third row.

Those early Tribecas got HORRIBLE gas mileage. Plus, they have that goofy grille.

Your 400h gets better mileage in the winter? Where do you live, on the equator and have to run A/C all the time? ;)

I'm looking forward to spring/summer temps here in SE PA so I can pick up another mpg or so.

Wait - I just re-read your post. You have an unusual way of expressing your fuel use. Don't think I've ever seen anybody use a fuel amount used to travel a constant distance ratio before. Most people list the distance they are able to travel on a given amount of fuel.

Those early Tribecas got HORRIBLE gas mileage. Plus, they have that goofy grille.

Your 400h gets better mileage in the winter? Where do you live, on the equator and have to run A/C all the time? ;)

I'm looking forward to spring/summer temps here in SE PA so I can pick up another mpg or so.

Wait - I just re-read your post. You have an unusual way of expressing your fuel use. Don't think I've ever seen anybody use a fuel amount used to travel a constant distance ratio before. Most people list the distance they are able to travel on a given amount of fuel.

That is the standard convention in stating mileage in countries using the metric system.

Yes, overall, I prefer the Metric system, except for mileage. I have also seen kilometres per litre before, but rarely...usually it's litres per 100km - so the lower the number the better.

In the latest Consumer Reports Auto Issue, the two SUVs that demolished the rest were the RX450h and Highlander Hybrid.

I pity the folks who thought fuel prices would stabilize at $2.50/gallon and who subsequently purchased new non-hybrids.

Read em and weep, folks!

In the latest Consumer Reports Auto Issue, the two SUVs that demolished the rest were the RX450h and Highlander Hybrid.

I pity the folks who thought fuel prices would stabilize at $2.50/gallon and who subsequently purchased new non-hybrids.

Read em and weep, folks!

They must not have tested the MDX with the SH-AWD system.

I have the MDX on the short list, but it can't touch the 400h, 450h or HiHy for fuel economy. I've been in an MDX third row and t's not very big either (but bigger than the Subaru), but I haven't actually seen the third row in a HiHy so I'm not sure how it compares.

All those mid size SUV's 3rd row seats are for small children or adult on short trips. If you want a full size 3rd row seat, you will need to step up to a full size SUV like the Suburban or maybe a minivan.

Don't know what he means by demolished..I didn't read the article. I just know from www.fueleconomy.gov (and from having a hybrid) that the FE will be much better.

What's your reasoning on the winter aspect with the MDX?

All those mid size SUV's 3rd row seats are for small children or adult on short trips. If you want a full size 3rd row seat, you will need to step up to a full size SUV like the Suburban or maybe a minivan.

My 10 year old already said she 'won't be seen with me in a minivan'. I personally like minivans, having had a 1999 Grand Caravan and a 2006 Honda Odyssey, but I don't want a mutiny in the house. When it comes to midsize SUVs with third rows, some are better than others. I've read favourable reviews regarding the third row in the Highlander and the CX-9. The others, yes, kid sized or very temporary adult size.

The Suburban and other full size...don't want to pay for the gas on those.

The 3rd row seat legroom is pretty good on the Highlander, much better than the MDX. The Pilot is worth a look as well. Tell you 10 year old that most of these 7 seater SUV are basically AWD minivans.

Oh, I see..."demolished" as in FE, not "roadability". Depending on the type of wintertime driving you expect to encounter the MDX may will be more "economical" in the long run.

Actually, "demolished" meant that the RX450h and Highlander Hybrid were both at the top of their "class", scoring higherthan the competition. Of course, I exaggerated a bit but hey, I root for the hybrids!

The 3rd row seat legroom is pretty good on the Highlander, much better than the MDX. The Pilot is worth a look as well. Tell you 10 year old that most of these 7 seater SUV are basically AWD minivans.

I tried to like the Pilot, but I find it terribly ugly both inside and out. AWD minivan...would love a Sienna AWD, but with kids, it's all about appearance...lol. They just don't look cool arriving at school in a minivan...

My kids are grown, married, and kids, if you call teenagers human, of their own, but I would NEVER allow the vote of a 10 year old to sway my own opinion in this. Additionally, like "whichever-the-wind-blows" Romney, they tend to change their minds 'way too often.

Should the new Sienna have the Venza style F/awd system, and even better, with the I4, that's the direction I would go for the most comfortable overall seating arrangement, plus....

Reasonably good wintertime road-handling capability....

Not on a par with the MDX, but worthy.

I tried to like the Pilot, but I find it terribly ugly both inside and out. AWD minivan...would love a Sienna AWD, but with kids, it's all about appearance...lol. They just don't look cool arriving at school in a minivan...

The highlander is one big square box as well, its a minivan with a longer nose. I let my 14 year old get away with a lot of things, but choosing what car I buy is not one of them. If they dont want want to be seen with a minivan in school, tell them to walk to school instead and they will start to like the minivan pretty quick I bet :)