Gx470 & Snow

MnM24

My car was slidding all over the place when I was coming to a stop and I almost hit an incoming car. When I was slowing down to a stop, the car wouldn't come to a complete stop and it screeched forward until some emergency beeping noises came on and finally stopped the car although it went into the intersection. The car also did a 90 degree spinout when turning until the same random emergency beeping noises came on and stabilized the car... These were two frightening experiences and I do not want to experience this again.

I wish this car had the "snow" option like the RX300 I own, any suggestions?

The 2004 GX has ABS and skid-control. While you were braking, did you feel the brake pedal pulsating? The beeping noise was indicating that the anti-skid control was engaging (I think). Sounds as if you might have really bad winter tires on the vehicle. Are they snow rated?

• 2 weeks later...

My 2005 GX had the same issue on the OEM Michelins. A couple years ago I started putting Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires on for the winter and the difference is amazing.

• 2 years later...

I always put M+S rated snow tires on our GX and make sure they are relatively new before doing our cross country winter road trips. Whenever we hit snow or ice covered roads, I turn on the center-diff-lock. Never had a problem in snow, not once. But remember, 4x4 and good tires helps you go, they do NOT help you stop. You have to really take it easy and leave lots of room for slowing and stopping maneuvers.

• Like 1