Torque Convert/tranny Acting Up

BlackSC4

hello lexus owners, i've posted this topic concurrently with other tranny problem posts, but i didn't get a reply that could help me, so i decided to give it it's own special post.

well, recently, my car jerks hard as hell shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when i drive slowly only. and when i drive around 40-50 mph and try to hold a constant speed, it would downshift and upshift super duper hard and numerously. soooo, i thought it was the valvoline's tranny fluid i added in, and well, i drained it quite a few times to dilute the cheap valvoline atf out with toyota type IV. it helped, a bit. it's noticably better, but not at all gone. so i'm thinking it must be the torque converter, probably burned it out somehow with the cheap atf and it made permanent damage. what you guys think? if it is (and i hope it is) the torque converter, i have all the excuses in the world to go with the high performance dragon torque converter that i've been wanting, but i want to make sure that's the problem first. <_<

SC,

I'm scanning all over in my 99 LS Diagostics......

I wonder if The ATF temp sensor (or shift solenoids) sent a code to the ECM? Have you disconnected the battery for 5 min or so to see if it Clears the codes?

A definate guess, but somewhat educated - and certainly an easy fix!

Let us know, and I'll keep looking................

perfect, i'll do this tomorrow, friday. i'll update you 99, thanks. and i'm not sure if this is related, but if set in P or N my RPM would drop from 1900-1100 if i give it gas slowly and steadily. and the hard jerks while driving occur exacltly at 1900, so it's very suspicious. i checked all my vacuum lines, so i'm thinking it might be something that controls my vacuum line that is out.

I don't think this is an O2 sensor related problem. Was this problem occur after you drain the ATF? Valvoline ain't cheap. Your local lexus use Valvoline! I don't want to name names. Any codes? Let's start trouble shooting from here. I don't like taking guessing when it comes to fixing car.

JPI

Yes,,

JPI is right....

But if you think your gaining since you've done couple of pan drains....is it worthwhile to do a couple more?

I'd still try to find the codes if possible.....

Here are all the AT Diagnostics for my 99 LS. I have no idea if they are accurate for your car, but for a landmark post # (for me), I've just got to include the online manual in pdf.... :lol:

dtcc.pdf

excuse me, i meant inexpensive when i said cheap. valvoline is 1.39 a quart compared to toyota which is 3.99 a quart. i am also aware that valvoline's history goes way back.

is there anywhere else i can get the codes? if i have to go to the dealership, i shall. but roughly, how much will it be?

thank you 99ls and JPI for the help, but i finally got it. i bought the car 2 months ago and well, i noticed today while refueling that the cap is very new. i had a suspicion that it's the wrong cap. it was non-vented. so i filled up 3 gallons in my tank and drove it without the cap on, and no more jerky motion at 40-60 mph. so i went to toyota and bought the right cap for it. good as new. the weird thing is, i didnt notice this when test driving the car, only lately.