...had All Three Recalls Done, Today.

I purposely waited until my dealership had all the parts, just in case any were needed after inspection of my RX400h. Our RX was among the first batch to be delivered to San Diego in March/April of 2005, so I didn't know what to expect as far as how "extensive" this recall experience would be.

It turns out that not much was needed, only:

IPM (Intelligent Power Module) Transistor

Carpet and retention clips

Car floor cover kit

The crankshaft pulley was found to be okay.

The inside and outside of the vehicle was meticulously cleaned, $55 worth of fuel was pumped in and a license plate cover was installed, all for free. My loaner vehicle was an RX350 with only 258 miles on its odometer. It performed well but did not have the low-end torque or gas mileage of my "old" RX400h. The NAV was huge and the mouse-like knob for control of all its features is much handier than always having to reach over to touch a screen that inevitably has lots of fingerprints all over it. Sometimes a touch screen is not an improvement.

I did have them update the NAV DVD (no installation charge), so that was my only expense.

On a side note: When I was younger, we had to write with our heads almost parallel to the desk - not a problem for young folks but not the best thing for your neck as you grew older. A couple of weeks ago while waiting in the airport for an overseas flight, I noticed 4 or 5 people using laptops. A couple of younger travelers had tablets and, as I did so many times as a youngster, had their heads bent down at a 90 degree angle so that they could read their tablet on their lap. While on the plane, some people had netbooks that fit nicely on the fold-down meal tray, the screen tilted at just the right angle. One person next to me had an iPad that was leaned up against the seatback. As soon as the plane hit some turbulence, the iPad came crashing down against the meal tray. I couldn't help but think that sometimes we humans go backwards in some ways when it comes to technology.

Anyway, I'm sorry I went off-topic but I had to mention that after driving the RX350 with the mouse-controlled NAV. Thank you, Lexus for not staying with something, just because it is currently popular.

I had the retention clips done a while ago. The inverter recall I had done a couple weeks ago (turns out I didn't need the repair, likely because I had a whole new inverter put in under warranty in 2009).

Today I took it in for the pulley recall, and it turns out I did need that repair done. Was given an ES350 loaner - nice car, but kind of boring...and oddly, I found the front windshield too small for my liking (when I had the seat adjusted how I like it, I couldn't see traffic lights because I was too high)

Free car wash I always get, but I have NEVER been given any gas. Wonder if I should check with Lexus Canada about this..maybe it's a U.S. thing only...?

Also off topic - I guess it's personal preference, but I prefer the touchscreen, fingerprints and all. I found it much faster to use than manipulating the mouse, although I only had my RX350 loaner (when I had the transaxle replaced) for about four days. I suppose if I had it longer I might have become more comfortable with it. A lot of the car reviews I read it seems like the reviewers prefer a touch screen too. I will say that the mouse control was much much easier than the dial contraption in a friend's Acura MDX that I borrowed for a day. That dial/button setup was maddening.

It cost my dealership about $57 for the gas. (I believe CA has the highest gas prices in the US.) Perhaps it IS a US thing only, but I'm glad my dealership does it.

Regarding touch screens: Remember that many "older" folks own Lexus vehicles, thus, resting your wrist and forearm is highly prefered over extending your arm and hand to input destinations, phone numbers, etc. I find that even when "typing" on my touch screen phone, my hands and arms tire after a while. I can go much longer typing on a real keyboard with my wrist and arm properly supported. This is why I also prefer a laptop over a tablet for almost everything I do on the run. (That plus the infinitely-adjustable screen comes in handy when using it on my lap.)

That's a good point (resting wrist and forearm). Also, I'd imagine the touch screen is more expensive to replace should it break. I can't remember - how close is that joystick thing to the cupholders? That's probaby a few $ should your Big Gulp tip over into it...

LOl..even worse were the fingerprints on the non-touch screen in my loaner and in my friend's MDX as I kept trying to touch buttons on the screen instead of using the controller. Seriously though, the fingerprints don't really bother me as I can only really see them when the screen is off, and when the screen is off, I'm not using the vehicle. I'm sure if I had a joystick type system, I'd end up liking it once I got used to it. I'm a gadget guy at heart, and it's another gadget.

And dont forget the finger prints on the touch screen.

I had a cup of coffee in the "cubby" and I believe it sat inside so that spills would be next to impossible. The screen in that newer Lexus was much closer to the windshield, which makes it easier to keep your eyes on the road. I think the hamburger joint in town makes good use of tablets - a person stands in the parking lot, taking orders from folks waiting to get to the drive-thru window. But for vehicles, I think the Lexus designers made the right choice by going with a PC-style setup (IMO).

I had cars with the touch screen, I-drive, MMI and the Lexus mouse system is one of the best interface I have ever used on a car. Your hand can rest on the center arm rest while you go thru the screens. I am pretty OCD about keeping the inside of my car clean and finger prints on the screen just drives me nuts.

...same here. Our stainless steel refrigerator doors get cleaned often.

When it comes to "modern" technology, I tell my kids all the time, "Just because you CAN do something, doesn't always mean you should." and "That looks like the answer to a question no one asked."

Talking to your cell phone during working hours or while exposed to more than a small amount of ambient noise tends to fall into both categories.