Leaky Moonroof From Drive Through Carwash

vpetropo

Hello,

I own 2009 Lexus IS 250 AWD - and continuously experience a leaky moonroof post drive through carwashes.

Under warranty, I have already had the seal replaced which did not rectify the problem and then had a new moonroof installed but continue to see beads of water seep through everytime I go through a carwash.

Is this a problem with Lexus vehicles or all ESSO carwashes?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I did and all they did was provide me with a case number. I then contacted my lexus dealership and am still waiting to hear back....

Apparently, the service manager is looking into what amount of pressure is the vehicle equipped for vs the pressure from the car wash machine.

One thing that has come up from time to time, has been an issue with the drain tubes getting blocked that carry away the water from around the window perimiter. You might ask your dealer to check that out.

Paul

The drain was the first thing that came to mind as well, but one would think the dealer would have check that out before replacing the seal and the moonroof, but I have seen dealers do a lot of stupid things.

Yes it was like that from the get go. Under the warranty, the dealer first replaced the weather stripping liner and after that I had them install a new moonroof but the problems continues. I just find it a nuisance that everytime I go through a carwash I have to wipe down the interior considering how much money I spent on this vehicle.

Sounds like a defect from the factory. If the problem was documented from new, I would call up Lexus ask them for a replacement car. We both know that they will not replace your car, but maybe it will get them moving on the problem. The use of words like lawyer and law suit when talking to them will also help. You can also try to get on Lexus' facebook site and file a complaint about your problem, they seem to pay more attention to facebook than the phone calls now a days.

I will try the Facebook approach... thanks for the tip. I just want to rectify this problem prior to the warranty expiring in 2013. What's your feedback on purchasing extended warranty? I understand the Lexus ECP does not cover the Navi and Stereo system which I find a little ridiculous. I was told you have to purchased third party warranty (don't feel comfortable doing that in terms reliability).

Why would you want to buy extended warranty on a car that has a leaky sunroof? If the leak is documented before the factory warranty expires, it should still be covered after the factory warranty expires since the problem was never fix to begin with. I would get this in writing either from your dealer or Lexus Canada,

The US Lexus extended warranty covers the Navi and the sound system, not sure about Canada. If we keep our RX450h pass 4 years, we plan to buy the extended warranty.