Backup Camera

SOFAKING

• 1 year later...

We are due to have a back up camera as well as a forward facing camera (for those low curbs) installed in late June. They are putting in a unit from Kenwood that will run thru the nav screen - again a Kenwood unit that will fit in the stock location and replace the stereo, the nav, create blutooth functionallity, - the works.

I'll let you know how that works out in a couple of weeks.

I installed a Crimestopper CMOS 170 degree license plate mounted reverse camera, as well as an Asus O!play media player and an Arion Bluetooth remote/receiver/speaker phone unit that all runs though the stock DVDNAV screen and factory radio head unit. I used something called NAVIKS to allow easy plug and play video incorporation. Specifically, all the work for the camera was done in the trunk. Didn't have to alter the NAV screen at all. The NAVIKS has two video inputs so you could easily use it for both cameras. Only hiccup is to use a special switch when you want to activate the front camera. Reverse automatically kicks on when you shift into reverse. If you want more info on my install, PM me since it's my project thread is on another site.

I installed a Crimestopper CMOS 170 degree license plate mounted reverse camera, as well as an Asus O!play media player and an Arion Bluetooth remote/receiver/speaker phone unit that all runs though the stock DVDNAV screen and factory radio head unit. I used something called NAVIKS to allow easy plug and play video incorporation. Specifically, all the work for the camera was done in the trunk. Didn't have to alter the NAV screen at all. The NAVIKS has two video inputs so you could easily use it for both cameras. Only hiccup is to use a special switch when you want to activate the front camera. Reverse automatically kicks on when you shift into reverse. If you want more info on my install, PM me since it's my project thread is on another site.

Hi Shawn,

Just a quick question. You said your cameras unit was housed in your trunk. Is it a wireless system or hardwired? I installed a back-up camera on my 2005 ES330 when I had it and thought about installing a wireless system. However, the install tech talked me out of it because they had experienced a lot of problems with radio waves interferance.

Thanks Shawn,

Paul

Yes the NAVIKS video integration unit is installed in the trunk right near the DVD player. I can give directions for that if requested. But, the licence plate frame with camera had it's own built in circuit board. All I had to run was the wires for it. I didn't want to use a wireless camera b'c I know there can be lots of interference. I ran hard wires for the plate camera through an existing hole in the trunk that leads to the licence plate. I will outline some basic steps for the install of the wires for the camera (from memory, so don't sue me if not 100% accurate), but the NAVIKS will be a different install all together. They actually provide pictured, detailed directions with their product. Very helpful and very easy. For anyone that's interested in my full installation, PM me and ill send you the link to the thread that I created for the NAVIKS install (it's on another site and therefore not allowed here).

1. Remove the trunk carpet that usually says "Lexus", the cardboard backed mat, and spare tire if one exists.
2. Remove all the tire jack accessories. Then remove the four black plastic hex cover bolts that hold the black plastic jack panel in place.

3. Remove the three white trim clips on the left and the right along the edge of the black jack panel.

4. Remove the Left and Right white trunk organizers. Just lift them up slowly and with increasing force and they will pop out of the side wall.

5. Now you should be able to pull the entire black jack mount panel up and out.

6. Remove the Lexus Trunk Contact Plate that surrounds where the locking mechanism is. It is a cream color and says "Lexus" on it. Just use your hands to pry it upwards with slightly increasing force. It will pop off fairly easily.

7. Remove about 4-5 more white trim clips and two metal D hooks that are vertically holding the carpeted wall onto the sidewall.

8. Remove the entire carpeted wall that would normally sit against the spare tire.

9. Now if you are standing over the locking mechanism looking down into the trunk where you've just removed the carpeted spare wall, you will find a wire that runs through a grommet just to the right of the midline of the car. Mine had a blue plastic jacket around it. I pulled the grommet out, and cut it off so I would have room to run new wires. It was a tight squeeze but if you push each wire one at a time through the hole, all the wires will get through just fine. (I had three wires for my camera: a power, a yellow RCA, and White RCA (that doesn't connect to anything)).

10. Then I removed the licence plate and found that there was styrofoam behind it. If you look up and to the right, you will see the hole that had the grommet.

11. Luckily my camera had a connection right at the licence plate, so I ran the end of long extension wire from inside the trunk through that hole and then connected the plate wires to those wires. I then electrical taped them to make sure no damage from water will occur. I then left the "joined" connections in that area near the styrofoam.

12. I then ran the wire along the sidewall of the trunk to my NAVIKS and connected the video input to video 2, which is designed to instantly trigger when I put the gear into reverse. I left all the excess extension wire in the space under the Right Trunk organizer area which is hidden once the organizer is put back.

13. I then piggybacked off the DVDNAV harness using wire taps for my power trigger and ground for the camera. I knew which wires these were thanks to the NAVIKS install directions.

I hope these instructions are fairly clear. I'm sorry I don't have any photos, but it really was an easy install all around. The Licence Plate camera was about a 30 minute install total. The Naviks was about an hour install but the most of that time was trying to find a comfortable position to sit inside the trunk to do the wiring work. If there are any more questions, let me know. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

Which Camera did you install was it the license plate version or the drilled camera

It's a full license plate frame with built in camera. Bought it from Walmart.com. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crimestopper-SV-5420.IR.BC-0.33-CMOS-License-Plate-Camera-with-180-Degree-Viewing-Angle-Black-Chrome/24458422. It's really easy to install the camera once you add the NavIKS. I recommend doing both (Naviks and camera) at the same time though, since you will have the entire trunk lining out.

• 7 months later...

We are due to have a back up camera as well as a forward facing camera (for those low curbs) installed in late June. They are putting in a unit from Kenwood that will run thru the nav screen - again a Kenwood unit that will fit in the stock location and replace the stereo, the nav, create blutooth functionallity, - the works.

I'll let you know how that works out in a couple of weeks.

Can you tell me how it worked out and what type of shop did the installation for you.

Thank you.

Hi Deborah 108, the install went quite well. The rear camera is mounted in the license plate holder and you really have to look to see it - activates when gear is placed in reverse. The front camera is also in the license plate frame and is a bit of a pain as you have to hit a button on the head unit to activate the front view (it's my wifes car so I don't drive it enough to instinctively find the right button - and its small!)

A local well regarded auto stereo install shop installed the total system, Kenwood head with navigation, new Focal speakers including subwoofer (we had them take out the rear seat bottom (which we kept to convert back if needed), then then fabricated a kind of package tray to hold either luggage or groceries using carpet and vinyl trim to match the stock upholstery - then they mounted the sub under the rear package tray.

The upgrade in sound quality is incredible - we are both audiophiles - probably more me - but amazing sound now even with the top down.

This route was a bit pricey, but we are very happy with the results and functionality of the package tray.

I should add that although we really like the sound of th Kenwood head unit (can't remember the model but its was their latest top of the line last summer), the XM/Sirius radio reception is not as good as on our other vehicles stock version - cuts out often in areas our stock units don't.

• 6 years later...

Has anyone used Best Buy to install a back up camera in a older Lexus ? Looking to install one in a 2002 Lexus SC430. Thanks

• Like 1