Help! Guys Something Is Wrong

AlmightyLexus

when i put my car into drive it is jerking real hard and when i brake it jumping like, i don't know what's wrong with it......the reverse light is on when i press the brake and also the replace bulb light is on...what's wrong fellas? oh it's a 91 Lex

Here we go again! It sounds like still another case of a broken wire - probably the "white with black stripe" one - in the left trunk hinge.

Try this link or do a search on "hinge"

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=4726&hl=hinge

One of the last occurances of this problem was reported by member "Troubleshooter".

There used to be a lot more posts on this problem but they were lost in last years server crash. I had this exact same problem last year and solved it by splicing in a short piece of wire. If this is the problem, make sure you solder in the splice or use good connectors. It is amazing that this one wire in the hinge is too short in so many wire harnesses.

Good luck!

Jim

that was it! thanks fellas i really appreciate it

Are you guys saying the this "wire" fixes the Jerk in the Transmission......

I can see how it fixes the Dash Lights.....

So a malfunction of an electrical "idiot light" (nothing personal to anyone, I mean that) causes the transmission to go haywire??????????????????????????????????

I need an explantion.....................

Hey 99!

I do not know the details of why that trunk hinge wire affects drivability so severely. Maybe the transmission falsely senses that the brake is on when the hinge wire breaks. When mine broke on a Saturday afternoon last summer, the car bucked so badly I had it towed from a parking lot at 119th & Metcalf. I thought the transmission was fried. I finally got it home, searched the Internet and found this forum. I was amazed when I found the answer to the problem on this forum in a couple of minutes and had the problem fixed within an hour. It is unfortunate that so much forum history was lost when the server crashed last year -- there was so much valuable information that could be searched.

Always great to see your posts!

See you sometime soon.

Jim

Hey 99!

I do not know the details of why that trunk hinge wire affects drivability so severely. Maybe the transmission falsely senses that the brake is on when the hinge wire breaks. When mine broke on a Saturday afternoon last summer, the car bucked so badly I had it towed from a parking lot at 119th & Metcalf. I thought the transmission was fried. I finally got it home, searched the Internet and found this forum. I was amazed when I found the answer to the problem on this forum in a couple of minutes and had the problem fixed within an hour. It is unfortunate that so much forum history was lost when the server crashed last year -- there was so much valuable information that could be searched.

Always great to see your posts!

See you sometime soon.

Jim

Jim,

Your right about losing those posts.... from Sept 20? thru October....45-55 days worth.

And it was a great stretch of posts!

don't worry, I've got this baby "cut n pasted" to a Word file now! hehe,, I've got lots of them on MSWord for backup :lol:

Great troubleshoot!

Maybe some BBQ ribs next week........................................... :D

LS400 (Jim) knows his stuff. It does seem unusal for a broken wire in the trunk to cause such a problem, but I have seen it reported far to many times to disagree. If anyone needs it, I have a transcript of the original post.

Should be a very cheap, quick fix.

Denny (my 500th post)