07 Lexus Ls 460 18K Miles And Upper And Lower Control Arms Need Replac

Went to Phx AZ Lexus dealer after noticing a front tire ( original) at 18,000 miles on my 2007 LS wearing uneven cupping on inside edge. Never hit a curb or big pothole as far as I know. Asked for a front end alignment and put new tire on front, along with spare. Got a call shortly thereafter I need new upper and lower control arms $3600 and my one new tire is $400 installed.

I mentioned the mileage on the car and service writer after I refused the repair said he called Lexus to see if they might cover this repair because of the low mileage. He said Lexus will do nothing for me.

I have always enjoyed dealing with Lexus in Portland and Phoenix and they have always gone the extra mile for us. I realize that I pay a bit more to go to the dealer but been willing to pay the extra because of the good service. We have 4 Lexus vehicles in our family wife, son, daughter myself and are surprised they will do nothing in our case.

Any ideas on who I might contact at Lexus to hear this from them directly.

Based on this example of premature wear out they seem to be a different company. I would be interested in other owners comments.

ps Also since I did not buy the tire from them I bought 2 kumho tires installed for $345.

Thanks for your input

Gerald

First of all the control arms for just one side are only about $900 from Lexus....That dealership is jacking you bad. I would take car to an independent alignment shop and get a diagnosis...Seems very fishy to me that those arms are bad so prematurely. I would call Lexus directly at corporate and mention your customer loyalty and ask them directly why this part failed so early....

Well I contacted Lexus and they offered to pay for the parts $ 3244.98 and I pay the 10.1 hrs labor $1363.50 and not sure on the tax 295.29 and shop supplies of 30.00. The price is different now with Lexus involved maybe they wanted more parts replaced not sure.

They are replacing 8 control arms guess 4 on each side, I got the impression this is typical problem with the car not sure but don't have a lot of choice. So I am out for about $2000 including the two new tires.

I wanted to put this out to the owners group to see if others have had this problem with 07 LS suspension parts. Maybe I should ask for the old parts ? Just for curiosity, sake wonder if they will comply ?

Gerald Brawley

I have never heard of such a problem. I've never had an LS460, but I had an LS400 and an LS430...and never had such a problem.

If you had 118,000 miles I'd say yeah, but 18,000 miles?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I contacted Lexus and they offered to pay for the parts $ 3244.98 and I pay the 10.1 hrs labor $1363.50 and not sure on the tax 295.29 and shop supplies of 30.00. The price is different now with Lexus involved maybe they wanted more parts replaced not sure.

They are replacing 8 control arms guess 4 on each side, I got the impression this is typical problem with the car not sure but don't have a lot of choice. So I am out for about $2000 including the two new tires.

I wanted to put this out to the owners group to see if others have had this problem with 07 LS suspension parts. Maybe I should ask for the old parts ? Just for curiosity, sake wonder if they will comply ?

Gerald Brawley

"..I contacted Lexus.."

And I would place bets that Lexus corporate discovered one of their dealers with their hands in the cookie jar. I'd also bet that it is the dealer footing the repair bill in order to stay in good graces with corporate.

Probably worth a drive all the way back to Portland to discover that your control arms are in perfectly good condition.

$400 for just one new tire?