2013 Lexus Es Shows Up Undisguised In China

gatoman39

I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll look better in person. I was very critical of the new GS but the more I see it in person, the more I like it...

Also obviously wait to see better pictures. If you like the GS interior, no reason not to like this interior...they're very similar.

I sure hope you're right...I really do...

From this angle: post-564-0-43982300-1329933335_thumb.jpg I would have moved the grille up a little as well...aded maybe one more slat to the grille...not good enough at photo editing to do that...

SW, maybe something like this? I agree that line is ugly. I don't like how it looks on the Camry and it looks just as bad here.

34xkl7d.png

I kind of like the new design!! I don't like the interior at all (for the same reasons i don't like the new GS interior) but i really like what they did with the exterior... maybe except for the front.

They really added a lot of LS styling to the sides and especially the rear. I LOVE the rear end, especially the tail lights. I'm glad they didn't use the "orange reflector" design for the rear directionals that they used on the new GS- i like the clear housing with orange tinted bulb. I also like how Lexus is updating the headlights of the entire Lexus lineup to incorporate the LED daytime running lights. It's good they'll all be consistent.

We'll have to see how much different the US version is; changing the front bumper, grill and hood is actually a simple thing for Lexus to do...

That's you, I don't think the primary demographic of the ES cares about AWD. We've discussed how your desires in a car don't really jibe with the ES in the first place.

They tried doing away with the chrome and wood in 07...and brought it back in 10.

The ES is NOT a sporty car. The whole point of separating the IS and ES is so each can be what it is. I actually think our ES looks sportier than this car:..at least everywhere but the front.

I think my issue with this car is the same problem I've had with the new GS. The front end doesn't look like it belongs on the same car as the rest. The front is really sporty, the rest of the car is very plain. Weird combination.

problem with the IS (I drove it before making my decision) is that it was too small for my taste..performance, and look, yeah, I lked it

like the look of my es, or would not have bought it, and we will continue to agree to disagree on the chrome and wood, lol

one thing I will disagree on is that the es buyer does not care about AWD...have some anecdotal evidence that I am correct, in that I know of 2 people who passed on the car due to the AWD only, amd it made my decision a much tougher one...you don't care??

No, I don't need my ES to be AWD. No interest in it whatsoever.

I think a much better car for you would be a Maxima or Acura TL...

last 4 cars were maximas..dont like um anymore, not comfortable and they made the front end ugly...also drove Acura TL.also not comfortable and was not impressed with the look...both had better performance the the es, but regarding features, value, look, and comfort, the es crushed them both

bet the majority here would prefer if their es was AWD..

what do you guys think out there, care, dont care, somewhere in the middle?

take care all..always good banter here..including lot's of good info, and opinions

AWD on the ES is not a big deal for me. When I bought my 2010 (had a 2007) I took a long look at LaCrosse, A4, G37x, RX and Q5 (all AWD) but went with another ES350. Even here in the snow belt, FWD with TRAC and VSC works for me. These days roads and streets get cleared off pretty quickly after a snow storm. Maybe my next car will be AWD, maybe not.

Even if I were to buy a sedan that had an AWD option, like a BMW, Infiniti or an LS...I wouldn't get the AWD.

The average age of an ES driver is in their upper 60s. I would take your bet that most ES drivers would prefer AWD all day long. Most ES drivers probably don't even know which wheels drive the thing...or care. Like I've said before, the ES is not a sporty car. Its a big, old people cruiser car. Like a well made Buick.

Even if I were to buy a sedan that had an AWD option, like a BMW, Infiniti or an LS...I wouldn't get the AWD.

The average age of an ES driver is in their upper 60s. I would take your bet that most ES drivers would prefer AWD all day long. Most ES drivers probably don't even know which wheels drive the thing...or care. Like I've said before, the ES is not a sporty car. Its a big, old people cruiser car. Like a well made Buick.

Sounds like you were talking about me (except the drive wheels part). :)

How much would it cost Lexus to develop and produce an AWD version of the ES? My guess, more than what Lexus would profit by, with any possible increase in sales... Not to mention the fact that an AWD version would cost the buyer more, a cost that "might" scare them away.

The FWD system can't be THAT much worse than what an AWD system would do in an ES. Maybe if it were RWD there would be a concern?

Lexus produced AWD versions of the GS, IS and LS probably because their counterparts were RWD models, which are notoriously poor performers in the snow. If the IS, GS and LS came as FWD models, i can't believe Lexus would have made AWD versions also... It just wouldn't be THAT much better.

Also keep in mind that a large chunk of Lexus owners live in warmer climates, which might not have a big need for AWD... FWD is more than enough for the ES, and i don't believe the extra cost for an AWD setup (and loss of rear passenger leg room due to a center drive-shaft) would market well for the ES...

How much would it cost Lexus to develop and produce an AWD version of the ES?

It would be huge, and with the ES being a platform shared car with the Camry, it would require a lot of reworking of the platform and drivetrain to accommodate AWD.

How much would it cost Lexus to develop and produce an AWD version of the ES?

It would be huge, and with the ES being a platform shared car with the Camry, it would require a lot of reworking of the platform and drivetrain to accommodate AWD.

Definitely, and i'm sure that would affect reliability and fuel consumption as well; we all know AWD versions of cars tend to be less reliable (more moving parts), weigh more, and hence get worse MPG. Lexus must have done their research and determined that ES buyers care more about MPG, cost, and reliability, than demanding AWD when FWD works just fine in day to day driving.

Yeah, the ES is just not an "enthusiast" car...

That's debatable... it's the best looking sedan in the current Lexus lineup LOL. And it's peppy!

You think it's better looking than the LS? I don't know about that, it certainly is a good looking car though.

I think next time I'm going to get something with a little more "pizazz", I love the ES but I've driven them for 10+ years now. Something maybe one class up, a GS, 5, E, A6, etc. got a year and a half to decide though, I'm surei'll change my mind. Bunch of times lol

You think it's better looking than the LS? I don't know about that, it certainly is a good looking car though.

I think next time I'm going to get something with a little more "pizazz", I love the ES but I've driven them for 10+ years now. Something maybe one class up, a GS, 5, E, A6, etc. got a year and a half to decide though, I'm surei'll change my mind. Bunch of times lol

I know, i know... :unsure: I think the LS is attractive and without a doubt one of the "best" cars in it's price range, but i like the sharper curves/lines on the ES, and especially the rear end. The LS rear end is too "fat" IMO... I LOVE what Lexus is doing to the rear and of the 2013 ES...

In the price range and class of the ES, it's without a doubt my favorite. I'd get one the same color as yours, just with the gray interior and of course i'd change things here and there... Personally i'm just not a fan of much else out there... I love the "feel" and "style" of the 2000-2010 Lexus lineup. I don't exactly like where the next decade is heading!

The truffle doesn't come with the grey, only the cashmere or the black...you could do smokey granite and get the grey, which I almost did.

I prefer the pre-refresh LS460, I think the lines are a little better, especially at the rear...

I'm glad Lexus has such a good reputation for a long life because I like my 2008 and this 2013 does less than nothing for me. Only 57K miles on mine so I'm hoping I can make it to the next version (2019?) before getting another. I got myself a second car so i'll be adding less mileage to the ES.