2013 Lexus Es Shows Up Undisguised In China

gatoman39

The front seems to be overdone. My first impressions is I'm not really feeling the changes and I still prefer my 09, I'm really disappointed, (maybe it's the color scheme??), but all that could change when I see it in person. I hope this is the 'China" edition and the US edition will be significantly different... :wacko:

I agree that IMO the front end is overdone, at least in the pictures. I'm hoping some of the trim pieces and grill are a little different on the U.S. model. From the pics it doesn't make me want to run out and buy one, but seeing the car in person might change my mind.

Linkable pics:

6917508623_d924730f8c_b.jpg

6917508661_fb96f76aa6_b.jpg6917508689_5b38b26a33_b.jpg6917508723_cd7b738214_b.jpg6917508827_4d8d22c177_z.jpg6917508763_041eb86e70_b.jpg2013-lexus-es-2.jpg

My guess is thats what its going to be.

I'm not feeling the exterior. I don't care for the fact that the front hood seam is above the grille...don't quite understand why they don't line up. Down the sides we've stripped all the chrome off again like they did in '07 which makes it look like an economy car, no chrome at the bottom of the doors, no chrome handles. The fact that they added the chrome trim in 2010 means buyers wanted it. The wheels are devoid of any panache.

I like the interior, but the front end looks awful IMHO the way the grille interfaces with the hood. Reminds me of the Corolla and Yaris...definately a Toyota styling trait, not a Lexus trait:

I think this might signal the end of the road for me and Lexus.

It looks a little better from this angle:

12-02-21-2013-lexus-es-side-profile.jpg

I just really don't get why they chose to break the hood that way...I'd rather them incorporate the grille into the hood and see the seam be under the grill how Lexus always used to do it than do this...

Linkable pics:

6917508623_d924730f8c_b.jpg

6917508661_fb96f76aa6_b.jpg6917508689_5b38b26a33_b.jpg6917508723_cd7b738214_b.jpg6917508827_4d8d22c177_z.jpg6917508763_041eb86e70_b.jpg2013-lexus-es-2.jpg

My guess is thats what its going to be.

I'm not feeling the exterior. I don't care for the fact that the front hood seam is above the grille...don't quite understand why they don't line up. Down the sides we've stripped all the chrome off again like they did in '07 which makes it look like an economy car, no chrome at the bottom of the doors, no chrome handles. The fact that they added the chrome trim in 2010 means buyers wanted it. The wheels are devoid of any panache.

I like the interior, but the front end looks awful IMHO the way the grille interfaces with the hood. Reminds me of the Corolla and Yaris...definately a Toyota styling trait, not a Lexus trait:

I think this might signal the end of the road for me and Lexus.

You are definitely on point, the exterior looks too plain, no chrome, hard to believe they missed that and the interior is jusy barely ok, I'm not sure what the designers were thinkingt, but I don't see how Lexus can regain their selling title with this design. Have you seen the 2013 XTS caddy?, I don't know if I'm ready to pull the plug just yet, but I won't be rushing out to buy one. I'll probably look more at the Mercedes or BMW, wow, but those maintenance cost may force me to look elsewhere...all in all I hope I will soften up when I see it in person....

It's the picture, there's actually more wood than on our cars. The area around the shifter is wood, and there's a nice wood strip across the dash between the cream and brown part, wheel is wood.

My guess is September, that's when it's always been launched. Could be earlier since its been delayed though.

I bought an early build 2007 ES350 in late-April/early May of '06 and was wondering if rthe 2013 might follow that timetable. Might be too soon though?

It's funny, I almost think that some of these car manufacturers, and more so the Japanese and American car makers to be so worried about what each other are doing and trying to match each other or one up each other that they completely lose focus on the evolution of their design rather than these radical departures and the result is that they alienate many who have come to identify with the design.

I just know they're going to screw up the IS when that redesign comes out. The ISF was already at the limit of bulges and flares it could have. And if they make it look like a small ES, which would in turn look like a small Hyundai/Kia anything, will be very dissappointing indeed. I'll reserve my final opinion on the ES when I see one in front of me. Pictures can "add 10 lbs." some times. But SW, when I shook my head my chin hit my desk and the top of my head hit the back of the chair in agreement when you said the profile looks like a Sonata. What are they thinking?

ill take the other side to some extent

agree with the negative that it looks more like some other cars, less unique..steve's sonata analogy was on target imo

but believe they went for a more sportier look..less chrome, wood, etc...i like that part

bottom line to the demise of the es will not be the look at all imo, will be NOT having all-wheel drive..I will never buy another car without that..sooooo many out there that have it, it seems silly not to get something else...especially at the es price point, no all-wheel drive is a killer for them I think

That's you, I don't think the primary demographic of the ES cares about AWD. We've discussed how your desires in a car don't really jibe with the ES in the first place.

They tried doing away with the chrome and wood in 07...and brought it back in 10.

The ES is NOT a sporty car. The whole point of separating the IS and ES is so each can be what it is. I actually think our ES looks sportier than this car:..at least everywhere but the front.

I think my issue with this car is the same problem I've had with the new GS. The front end doesn't look like it belongs on the same car as the rest. The front is really sporty, the rest of the car is very plain. Weird combination.

What happened with the dashboard??, there does not seem to be a coherent flow to it? Guys I may have to sit this design out. Have you seen the interior of the 2013 Cadillac XTS?, this car is drop dead gorgeous inside. Where is the design team that designed the 07 ES?. Did they get fired? What's up? I showed these pics to my dealer in ATL and he admitted that there is some resemblance to the Sonata. Not good and not Lexus like. In fact I find the redesigned Camry a better looking car. Why did Lexus make the ES bigger?, wrong move, might as well get a fully loaded Avalon Limited. The Avalon actually looks better inside and IMO has an edge on the exterior. I'm looking at the BMW, Infiniti, Mercedes and even the XTS and Chrysler 300, I don't find a compelling reason not to look outside of Lexus right now, unless I move up to the GS (I like the 2013 GS, the exterior and interior is magnificent) or drop down to a smaller IS. Right now I'm just frustrated with this design. I'm not sure I can stay in the Lexus column. I'm enjoying my 09, but there is no upgrade path for me with this design, which I was looking forward to. I don't think seeing the car in person will change MO. This may be my last Lexus, I'm not sure.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it'll look better in person. I was very critical of the new GS but the more I see it in person, the more I like it...

Also obviously wait to see better pictures. If you like the GS interior, no reason not to like this interior...they're very similar.