2004 Lexus Es330 - Slow Acceleration/hesitation

Hey guys, I got a question hopefully someone can help me out with.

I own a 2004 Lexus ES330, it has ~120k miles on it. I bought the car from a Lexus dealer about 2 years ago, and it was in perfect condition. It was very fast, powerful, and smooth.

Since then, it does not run nearly as well as it did. My main problem is the slow acceleration, when i push the gas pedal the car just doesn't go like it used to. Its slow and there is a 'hesitation' moment where the RPM will go up to but the MPH will basically stand still.

I read that I need to clean the fuel injector and use a fuel injector cleaner with my gas fill-ups. Would this be a simple solution to the problem, and if so what kind of fuel injector cleaner should I use, there are literally dozens of them at the store.

What is the cause of this and how can I fix it? My car is no longer fun to drive and it has taken all of the fun and enjoyment out of owning a Lexus for me.

Thanks for your help, Peter.

I have a 04 ES 90000 miles and had the injector and fuel system cleaned using the BG system. My Lexus dealer did this and my local shop uses the same BG system. Works great. Don't buy the crap in the can that you dump in the tank. I don't think its a torque converter. My car is very fussy on what type of gas I use. i use BP or Mobil, 89 octane. If I use 87, bad off the start at a light. Get your fuel system cleaned, run good gas, have the plugs been changed? I think at 100000 miles its time. Does your car have sports mode? I don't think the 04 ES comes with sports mode. Just looked through my original brochure and didn't see anything in the options about sports mode. do the simple things first, have a good tech. look at. Good luck,

Tim

• 7 years later...

I currently have an es 33o but my check engine light is on , but Ihave got an tune up and my oil changed bout 2weeks ago and I havent went over my miles yet , so how do i go bout to see whats wrong with my car . it jzt jerk on the pedal like its tryna catch up .

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2012 at 4:21 PM, dembowy12212012 said:

Hey guys, I got a question hopefully someone can help me out with.

I own a 2004 Lexus ES330, it has ~120k miles on it. I bought the car from a Lexus dealer about 2 years ago, and it was in perfect condition. It was very fast, powerful, and smooth.

Since then, it does not run nearly as well as it did. My main problem is the slow acceleration, when i push the gas pedal the car just doesn't go like it used to. Its slow and there is a 'hesitation' moment where the RPM will go up to but the MPH will basically stand still.

I read that I need to clean the fuel injector and use a fuel injector cleaner with my gas fill-ups. Would this be a simple solution to the problem, and if so what kind of fuel injector cleaner should I use, there are literally dozens of them at the store.

What is the cause of this and how can I fix it? My car is no longer fun to drive and it has taken all of the fun and enjoyment out of owning a Lexus for me.

Thanks for your help, Peter.

I own the same car, and avoid pushing hard on the pedal, do most accel. in 3rd. gear. this is a known problem and cleaning the fuel system is not needed.   I accelerate using the cruise lever often, and know there is lots of power at 3200rpm.!

• 4 years later...

It is now 2023. Just bought a 2004 RX330 with only 140K miles. Perfect body.

Hesitation going up hills. Sluggish. Check engine light code is for a bad knock sensor. Although the previous owner changed the knock sensor two weeks ago.

after 10 years, any more insight?!