Brake Fluids For Ls400, 1St Gen - What To Use?

prix

Well, if the answer is in these threads, I can't find it. What type of brake fluid should I use for a drain and fill or flush? What brand do you use/swear by? This is a LS400, 1994.

The lexls.com tutorial says the fluids must be "Dot 3", but when I look on AutoZone or other sites, there are (seemingly) limitless choices with (indecipherable) unique features. On another forum someone said they used 'motul rtf? 600', but that wasn't available on AutoZone (the retail shop closest to me).

I am only interested in doing whatever the owner's manual says -- Dot 3 -- not any upgrades to higher boiling point, etc., but I do want to use a brand that is considered of better quality.

Time to hit the bible study Billy. I am not a DIY, which is why I come here to learn and, yes, ask lots of questions. Deal.

as an Advanced Club Member, with 391 post, I would think you would be giving guidance to others as to what to use... so buy it from Lexus

Time to hit the bible study Billy. I am not a DIY, which is why I come here to learn and, yes, ask lots of questions. Deal.

as an Advanced Club Member, with 391 post, I would think you would be giving guidance to others as to what to use... so buy it from Lexus

I did not know that, my error, so sorry, you looked like a veteran...

In my cars I use Costal super heavy duty dot 3

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/Coastal-Super-Heavy-Duty-Brake-Fluid_p_683.html

My 1994 owner's manual states "SAE J1703 or FMVSS no. 116 DOT 3"

I would imagine with time the fluid will have been improved and the information updated.

DOT 4 I believe has superceded DOT 4 but not sure about DOT 5 which I think is synthetic, brake fluid types should not be mixed.

Link below is the real stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-OEM-FACTORY-DOT-3-BRAKE-FLUID-12-OZ-BOTTLE-10-/250994721412?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a70738284#ht_500wt_1204

I'd recommend DOT 3 Toyota brake fluid. It's in the same price range as the aftermarket fluids you find at a local auto parts store. Stick with DOT3. If you're not taking the car to the track DOT 4 or higher will not be necessary and does not last as long as DOT 3.

OK, tx. I get that it is a pretty basic question for an 'advanced member', but I really didn't ask for, nor do I qualify for, that designation. I didn't know what a MAF sensor was until about a week ago. On the rare occasion when I can contribute some useful information here, I do so.

After frittering away a lot of time trying to get answers online, I finally just called a Lexus parts shop and asked them. I was trying to avoid doing that because they try to get me to bring the car in to let them work on it. Anyway, he said do not use anything other than the Lexus brake fluid (he meant Toyota). And, you can only get that either a Lexus dealer or at Toyota (it's the same product at either location). They said they've consistently seen problems with seals and o-rings in cars that have used aftermarket brake fluids.

I am working with a mechanic who charges labor only (I supply the parts) which is why this question is coming up now. It's been flushed one other time (ages ago) but that invoice didn't mention the type of fluid. Bit of a hassle this way, but my out of pocket cost is less than 1/3rd of what the dealer would charge.

I did not know that, my error, so sorry, you looked like a veteran...

In my cars I use Costal super heavy duty dot 3

http://www.sturdybui...luid_p_683.html

Thanks much, yes, this is what I am going to buy. Toyota dot 3. I topped up with Prestone about a month ago when the brake warning light kept flickering...turns out I should not have used Prestone...need to get the brake fluids drained anyway, so it won't be in there much longer.

I'd recommend DOT 3 Toyota brake fluid. It's in the same price range as the aftermarket fluids you find at a local auto parts store. Stick with DOT3. If you're not taking the car to the track DOT 4 or higher will not be necessary and does not last as long as DOT 3.

Thanks for that link. That's a good price!

My 1994 owner's manual states "SAE J1703 or FMVSS no. 116 DOT 3"

I would imagine with time the fluid will have been improved and the information updated.

DOT 4 I believe has superceded DOT 4 but not sure about DOT 5 which I think is synthetic, brake fluid types should not be mixed.

Link below is the real stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/...4#ht_500wt_1204