[Ls430] Smart System Issues

maniek_LS

Hi,

I own my LS430 '2001 from four months. From beginning I had problem with SMART key operation (I have only one three button SMART key). I replaced batteries two times (sure are new), checked SMART button under instrument board - working properly, SMART LED is also working.

Problem was: car not recognized SMART key and I have to touch door handle by SMART key and after that lights goes on (interior and in mirrors) and red LED on SMART key flashed once, when I wait 2-3 seconds for second LED flash and then I touch door handle by hand - doors were opened, but I was unable to start engine "Key is not detected" appears on display. The only way to start a car was to insert SMART key into cylinder and turn on.

To close a car (using SMART function) I had to touch door handle by SMART key and then I to press button on door handle - Lexus locked doors.

All wireless buttons works perfect - I can open, close car, open trunk - all the time.

Something (I only remember that SMART key fell down on ground, but maybe I pressed buttons on SMART in any combination - don't remember) happens about two weeks ago and SMART system started to work as designed !

I feel happy :) I can open Lexus when SMART key was in pocket, start engine, open trunk, close a car...

Yesterday I opened car using SMART function (with key in pocket), take some things from Lexus and close the car not using SMART function but using remote (pressing lock button on the SMART key) and.. again SMART started to work as I described on beginning - car is not recognizing it when I'm entering close to car, I cannot start engine etc, cannot open trunk etc. Why ????

Are any steps to activate/deactivate SMART system that can happen if car is opened by SMART and closed using wireless ?

Thank you for help and apologize for my English..

A place to start might be at the begining.....follow the directions on this page and reprogram your system first. If that dosen't fix the problem, you may need a need a new key and have a dealer regiister it to your specific vehicle.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7450146_start-lexus-smart-key.html

I had a problem with smart key as well a couple of weeks ago. A new battery did not solve the problem.

CAREFULLY reading the owners manual concerning smart key solved my problem with smart key.

Oh, by the way, if one of the 4 door lock mechanism fails, you will need to manually lock it each time you leave the car for smart key to lock with the signal beep.

I had a problem with smart key as well a couple of weeks ago. A new battery did not solve the problem.

CAREFULLY reading the owners manual concerning smart key solved my problem with smart key.

I read it two times and any solution doesn't work for mine SMART key :(. I ordered used SMART key - will be delivered next week. I also have Mini-VCI and TIS for which allows reprograming immobilizer and keys - I'll try with new delivered parts and will update you.

Tomorrow I'm going to connect interface and check immobilizer error codes - maybe they tell me something ..

BTW. Is this normally happen if you trying to lock a car using smart if you press locking button on door handle to fast - before door closer finishes - except beep I see "Key is different" on display. I don't know history of my car then also don't know what parts were replaced - maybe immobilizer ecu ? Strage was last two weeks when smart system worked as designed.