Looking To Purchase N Sc

I am going to be in the market for an SC soon. I already own an ES300, which I have had for about a month, but it has made a believer out f me (I had owned Mercedes up to this point)

This is going to be a gift for my son, who is not very mechanical (yet), so I am looing for something depedable with good repair history. He is 21, so a bit ore responsible as a driver than when he was 16.

What do the experts in this forum recommend?

Model Year?

Model? (SC300, SC400). Don't think I can afford the 430 yet.

Is there anything I should ook fo as a red-flag?

hanks in advance for all the input.

:cheers:

So I had not gotten any input yet, so thought I would move the thread back towards the top. Hope that is acceptable.

Anyway -

Any input on Model years I should avoid, or maybe the year I should begin looking?

Any repairs that are typical these cars outside of normal maintenance (so if I find someone who has done them recently I am ahead of the game)?

Again, thank for any input.

JB, I don't yet own an SC either, but reading

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#01

is a must IMHO. I'm pretty sure it covers all of your questions. What I have done, is searched the archives for discussions relating to the problems listed in the FAQ. If I owned one, I could give more specific advise, but I'm still looking as well.

the SC's main problems you have to look out for are suspension pieces. the lower arms can be big bucks running you a tad under a grand in parts just for the lower suspension arm because the bushings and ball joints go out. otherwise i found not too much goes wrong, you should look for a nice SC#00 (3 or 4) thats been owned and baybied by an older owner. (because usually they dont do what us guys love to do) also look at the gauge cluster and you might find burned out needles that are fixable but still on the pricey side. and of course when looking for a car accedents in the history are not good and make sure the transmission is smooth. and after 100k miles or so you might want to consider changing motor mounts and trans mounts, along with other rubber suspension pieces.

I recommend any SC3 with a manual shifter. Of course, your son will have lots of fun with the car, and will eventually tune-it.

The one problem you should look out for are leaks under the block. If you find a car, I would recommand having it checked out at the dealer, and if you have a oil pan gasket leak, either don't buy it or have them sell it to you for Thousands less(At least $2-3K). Check engine lights can also be a problem.

Otherwise, the car is really nice, and you should drive the car more than your son. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the responses so far.

And I think i will probably drive it for a few months before I give it to him (just to work out any bugs, honest! ;) )

I ave ad my share of the older muscle, so I think it's time for a little newer muscle!

Check that the Climate Control LCD is not leaking (fading to black). This is a costly repair. Burnt needles and burnt out backlights can be repaired for not too much money, but the LCD can only be fixed by replacing the whole unit, very costly. Check the door alignment and that the doors are tight and flush. A new door hinge will cost $300-400. Check for any leaks under the hood. The Radiator reservoir were bad for leaking as is the Power Steering Pump. If the PSP leaks, it leaks down onto the Starter and can damage the starter. Check the Brakes and Rotors. Rotors are fairly cheap throught Ebay. Check the Headlights for condensation. Check the Service History and see if Lexus Service was performed. If the car is pushing 85,000 miles, insure that the Timing Belt has been replaced.

Check Carfax for history.

These seem to be most of the issues that many of the owners have experienced.

I have spent most of my time replacing electrical components (Plugs, Plug Wires, Coils, Climate Control Unit). The beauty of these cars is that there are so many of them out there, that there are many Breakers that will list items/components on Ebay. I then purchase items that would be good spares. I have a rebuilt starter, alternator, power steering pump and Radio sitting on the shelf in case I need it.

I hope this helps and enjoy your new acquisition.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

You can find plenty of sc models for sale on Ebay and autotrader.com etc. I would never buy one without first having it checked out by a lexus dealership for around $100. They will check the mechanics,electrical systems and suspension and you should ask for the service history and in addition spring for a carfax report. The main problems are with the power steering pumps which begin to leak at around 75,000 miles. Also see if the timing belt service has been done as it is an expensive service. Expect to change all the fluids and flush the brakes and cooling system and replace the usual parts that wear with age. Struts and shocks usually need replacement at 60-75,000 miles. Pre 1994 models have R12 AC units and it can be expensive to relace R12 or switch to R34. The lexus inspection should give you an idea of what has been done and what needs to be done and then you should negotiate a price if you like the car.