You Might Find This Interesting

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Just for fun - I 'scanned' one of the first Lexus LS400 magazine ads. This particular one was found in the September 1989 issue of Car&Driver. Take a look -if you like. [do any of you remember that ad? It was first time I KNEW that one day I was going to own one of 'those' cars!!]

One of the very first LS400 magazine ads

Also...

Take a look at a 'scanned' copy of a Popular Mechanics 'OWNERS REPORT' on the LS400. Although the magazine I 'scanned' it from was the PM's 1993 'New Car and Truck Buyer's Guide' - the original 'report' was published in the August 1990 issue of PM.

Again.... take a look... if you like. [and let me know what you think]

Popular Mechanics LS400 'OWNERS REPORT'

Craig!! :D

cool find Craig!

I didn't know you gen I guys had the "hydraulic slide" ashtrays? Heck,, I don't even know if mine are that way..I just thought they were "spongy and cool" :lol:

I've read articles claiming the 1uzfe engine could withstand 2,000 HP! and it was made to deliver and average of 400K miles......

If we could just keep all these other parts from wearing out......... :D

My dad almost got an LS in 1990, but got a Lincoln Continental instead. He came around though ;)

What I find interesting is the fact that the average buyer of the LS was way lower back then. The majority of the respondents said they were 30-49 years old, today the average LS owner is 61 or 62. Also back then only 69% of the drivers were male when today that figure is around 90%. Interesting changes...

I think the age range of potential Lexus buyers increased because every year Lexus makes changes to LS or any other luxury models, it tends to grow more luxuries and expensive. As the production of LS is going I would not be surprised to see an ad titled “Lexus LS vs. Mercedes Benz S-Class vs. BMW 7-series.”

Excellent find.

Migirdech - I too did not know that my mirrors were heated, until one day when my rear window was fogged up as were my mirrors, I turned on the rear defroster and I happen to look to my mirror and within seconds you could see the mirrors clearing up. So the heated mirrors function is tied to the rear defroster. So check it out, your's might still work.

there was a C/D comparison on a merc. S class, BMW 7, audi ,VW and JAG, and an LS430 and guess who won? the LS! not the BMW this time or the Merc. in fact the Merc. came in last because it was aging and getting old.

My interpretation is that the average age of LS buyers increased as the LS price increased since median income generally increases with age. When I bought mine in early 1990, a modestly equipted LS could be had for about $30,000 cash. Then there were quite a few $1,000 price increase events and the implementation of the "luxury tax". Prices rose a bit during the first five years and sales fell off dramically. I think I read that more LS's were sold in the U.S. in the first 1990 model year than in any model year since.

And, of course, Mercedes and BMW really got there act together and increased content and dramatically lowered prices. For example a well equipted 300E listed for nearly $50K in 1990 but an even better E320 was listing at about $41K in 1994. And of course, BMW reinstated its V8 program which it had cancelled in about 1990 and Mercedes started offering V8's in their mid-size cars. Having switched from driving a Mercedes to an LS in 1990 made it all especially interesting to watch.