Need Some Opinions, Got Some Time To Figure This Out...

ArmyofOne

I am going to end up circling the US very soon, by far (potentially) the longest road trip I have ever taken. I have an Uncle dying of liver cancer in Fort Worth TX, and my folks live there anyway. In August, I will have 30 days of leave. What kills the idea of just flying to Fort Worth is my wife's stepfather is also fighting cancer, in Tennessee, and her older sister and her kids live in Florida. Wife wants to see the grand canyon on the way down and Yellowstone on the way back if possible.

Proposed driving route is:

Seattle WA>Grand Canyon>Dallas/Fort Worth>Lake Charles LA (overnight stop to see extended fam)>Mobile AL (2-3 day stop to see my Great-Grandfather)>Orlando FL>Gaitlinburg TN>Clarksville TN>Yellowstone National Park>Seattle WA.

I have to start saving now, if I dont want to dip into the retirement fund. I have only ever dipped into it once, to buy my ram...I dont want to start a trend. The soonest I can get to Texas (if we drive) is August 8th, due to leave constraints (I cant just leave whenever unless it is immediate family). August 4th if we fly. They gave my uncle a year to 18 months. Wife's stepfather is (thus far) not terminal. I have several choices for transportation, but I dont know which one to choose...wanna help me pick? In a roundabout way, all 4 choices are going to cost about the same...so here it is...

Option 1:

-Fly to Fort Worth TX, rent car for a week, then Fly to Orlando FL, Rent car for a week, then fly to Nashville TN, rent car for a week. Then back to Seattle. Total cost, Roughly $2000 US-We dont pay for hotels en route (stay with family at destinations), but we dont get to see sights on the way. We also dont see extended family, potentially making some people butt-hurt.

Option 2:

-Fly to Fort Worth, rent a car for 29 days, drive a big circle to see everyone and end up back in Fort Worth. Still costs about $2,000, we wont get to see any of the sights between WA and TX, but we wont put the miles on the truck.

Option 3:

-Drive the Ram the whole way. 7500 miles on it in one go (its already at 63,000). Gas and hotels/food/sightseeing comes to about $2,000. If you count the oil change right before I leave, and right when I get back its about $2100, plus any unforseen expenses.

and finally, Option 4:

-Rent a sub-compact car on the base in Tacoma for $500/unlimited mileage for 1 month. Put the 7500 miles on someone elses car, pay about $800 in fuel, and about $500 in food and hotels/sightseeing. Rounding out to about $1800.

I am leaning towards option 4 because in my current situation (trying to pay off the last of CC debt before I get out of the military in the next year or 2), every penny counts. The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is...I absolutely LOVE driving my Ram on road trips...actually all the time. I dont know if its worth the $200 to suffer through driving 7500+ miles in a Chevy Aveo. My Ram is big, comfortable and has more than enough power to get out of its own way...but it doesnt get 40mpg either.

Thoughts?

I say drive the Ram! I know it will rack up some miles on the trip but who cares... It's meant to be driven...it's not like it is a classic collector car. Good luck buddy...

Dont forget Josh to make use of military bases for overnight stays....much cheaper than hotels...If you enjoy your Dodge drive it. You can always get a oil change during the trip....I did that years ago when we drove to North Carolina from California to see the birth of oldest grandbaby...

Take the Ram. If you go with option #4, that $200 savings is going to not be worth it about 200 miles into your trip. You'll be driving someone else's car for that amount of time, and you know it won't be set up right (alignment off, wheel out of balance, etc..) and it'll eat at you with every passing mile.

This is a trip, sad as the circumstances are for it, that you and the wife will remember for the rest of your lives. This is a "memory" your making. Don't make it a bad one, make it a good one (or as good as possible given the situation). The memory is worth the extra $200 to be comfortable. Plus, who knows, you might find a momento or two along the way that you won't be able to fit into the rental...

Take the Ram!

Take the Ram. If you go with option #4, that $200 savings is going to not be worth it about 200 miles into your trip. You'll be driving someone else's car for that amount of time, and you know it won't be set up right (alignment off, wheel out of balance, etc..) and it'll eat at you with every passing mile.

This is a trip, sad as the circumstances are for it, that you and the wife will remember for the rest of your lives. This is a "memory" your making. Don't make it a bad one, make it a good one (or as good as possible given the situation). The memory is worth the extra $200 to be comfortable. Plus, who knows, you might find a momento or two along the way that you won't be able to fit into the rental...

Take the Ram!

Exactly what nc211 said. After 8 hours behind the wheel, that $200. will seem like .02

Didn't you take the Ram on a trip a little while ago? What was your MPG's for that? I just remember being surprised you were getting that much, like 24 or so was it?

I'd take the Ram anyway though. There's nothing like having your own car with you on the road. especially for such a long trip. It's been reliable and cared for by you, so you already have that settled.

Yeah, well I called the rental company...they want $250 deposit (refundable) to take the car out of state, on top of the $600 cost for the rental, that means the total up-front costs come to 3/4 of the cost to drive my own, very comfortable road tripper. After talking it over with the wife, we decided to camp on the way down, ($10 a night beats $75), because campsites are ALWAYS pet friendly, and use the tax return or savings to buy new tires in spring of 2013. I know it might seem like tires are a relatively inexpensive proposition, as $700 or so is not alot of money nowadays, but when you are on a military salary, taking a 7500 mile trip at 20mpg and $75 a fill up requires careful financial planning every step of the way.

And we may be scrapping the idea entirely, as it looks very much like I may be coming down on orders to move again VERY soon. Need prayers for that one as I am stagnant in the position I am in. There is nowhere to go but down unless I get a transfer.

as it looks very much like I may be coming down on orders to move again VERY soon. Need prayers for that one as I am stagnant in the position I am in. There is nowhere to go but down unless I get a transfer.

This, Josh, is why you will be very successful in your career, and in life. You've clealy got your eye on the prize, and willing to make changes to keep going up that ladder. It's a real characteristic of success, especially in this ever-shrinking world. Some folks would look at these pending orders as another hassle to be in the military. Moving is tough business, right up there with the loss of a job, death in the family. You see it for the opportunity it can provide you. That, my friend, is huge!

Thank you again for your service. Josh make sure to keep your options open...However I want to remind you that your trauma that you experienced shoudl be recorded as a disability in your military records, this is very important. That is a key in future employment as well as a benefit in many states...Here in California your offspring could attend State colleges for free if you have a military disability...This may be available in other states...Someday you will look back and realize that the experience you have now will be an asset to your ability to excell. Best of luck to you and your wife...God Bless.

as it looks very much like I may be coming down on orders to move again VERY soon. Need prayers for that one as I am stagnant in the position I am in. There is nowhere to go but down unless I get a transfer.

This, Josh, is why you will be very successful in your career, and in life. You've clealy got your eye on the prize, and willing to make changes to keep going up that ladder. It's a real characteristic of success, especially in this ever-shrinking world. Some folks would look at these pending orders as another hassle to be in the military. Moving is tough business, right up there with the loss of a job, death in the family. You see it for the opportunity it can provide you. That, my friend, is huge!

Thanks guys, I love change, I eat it for breakfast :blink: . Kidding, but I dont mind it if its for the better, I look at everything as an opportunity to better myself, and learn. I want to be in the 5%, not the 95%.

We had to make some adjustments for our trip, it sucks, but such is life. The grand canyon, being so far out of the way is out of the question, will had 500+miles to the trip and thats just not kosher at 20mpg. We also had to reverse the route, because my sister-in-law's kids have to start school at the end of august so heres the proposed route:

Fort Lewis (Tacoma) WA

Yellowstone National Park (Stay overnight, then drive through park in the morning)

Jackson WY (Grand Teton National Park)

Lander WY (no stopping just a route guide on mapquest LOL)

Denver CO (overnight stop)

Clarksville TN (visit with friends for 2 days)

Gatlinburg, TN (visit with wife's grandparents and possibly parents if they can come down from NY-I am NOT driving there too-for 3 days)

Here is where it gets iffy, and planning is key which is why we are starting now. If meghan's sister can come to TN to visit us with her kids, then that saves us another 500 or so miles. If not, well...we are continuing to:

Orlando, FL (for 6 days)

Mobile AL (overnight to see my great grandfather, WWII vet, Landed on Omaha Beach)

Lake Charles, LA (lunch stop with my great aunt)

Fort Worth TX (9 days with my folks)

Amarillo, TX (route guide)

Grand Junction, CO

Salt Lake City UT

Fort Lewis (tacoma) WA

:wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

So we just made a rental reservation through National Rental Car. Went with Kia Optima or similar.

$549 (for 30 days, gotta love military pricing), ~$200 deposit (not in the "frequent renters club), Free roadside assistance.

Gas will run me $1,000 in that if it goes to $5 a gallon, $1200 if it goes to 6. It will run me $2,000 if it goes to $5 a gallon, and $3,000 if it goes to 6, in the ram. Think I just made a really smart descision.